New Home and Pool Owner

May 12, 2015
Indianapolis
I purchased a new home last year with a pool just in time to have it closed. It is getting opened tomorrow and I have been doing my research to prepare to take care of it myself. I stumbled upon this website and have found lots of useful information. I am looking forward to being a part of TFP and learning how to take care of my new pool! The pool is inground and fiberglass with dimensions of 12x22. It is only 4 ft deep everywhere. I believe the system has a frog chlorinator system set up but not entirely sure about that or how it works yet.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Have you ordered one of the Recommended Test Kits yet? That is a vital investment to help ensure a clear pool.

We also do not think very highly of the Frog systems if it is the type that adds metals to the water.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Welcome to TFP!

First things first. Update your signature so it's easier for folks to help you. To change your profile and/or signature, select "Settings" (top right under Pool School button). Scroll down (left side) to "My Settings" & select Edit Profile or Edit Signature.

Frog chlorinators use trichlor tablets, which add chlorine and CYA with every tablet. Prolonged use will lead to high CYA levels, making the pool harder to manage. Recommended here only for occasional/vacation/out of town usage with knowledge that it will raise your CYA level.

You've got a great start finding us but you'll need a recommended test kit to follow through with the methods presented here. Test Kits Compared

If it's being opened by a pool builder/store, don't let them put any powdered chlorine products in your pool. They could be making a CYA problem worse, but you won't know until you can properly test your water yourself.

I will need to purchase a test kit yet so I can test the water. The more I hear/read the less likely I will be using the Frog system. I am a teacher so I have summers off which will make taking care of the pool quite easy for me I believe.

I think I have the signature updated with all the information I know of right now.

You have a smaller pool, relatively speaking. If your pool is currently clear and you don't anticipate issues, you might be able to get by with the K-2006 Taylor test kit. The best bang for your buck, especially if you have to deal with clearing algae or need more reagents for testing CYA more than a few times, is the TF-100 from tftestkits.net.

Last edited:
Yeah I have checked the water and it is completely clear so I may go with that test kit then. The previous owners left two buckets of the chlorine tablets. Can I just use those up to start with since they are here or would that cause problems?

Until you know your current CYA level, using pucks might cause problems. Pucks add more CYA to your water and too much requires higher chlorine level to maintain it. And if you have any problems with algae you'll really need higher chlorine levels to rid it. The Chlorine-CYA relationship chart under Pool School can give you an idea of the relationship. Some folks keep their CYA level slightly low just so they can use pucks during longer vacations and they know their CYA won't go too high then.
Household bleach is a great alternative for daily dosing

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP!

jblizzle said:
MEdlund said:
If CYA is not high I will be okay to use those [pucks] up correct!
If you understand all the impacts of using them.
Understanding the impacts of using the pucks is key. Pucks move three chemistry parameters: chlorine (increases it), CYA (increases it), and pH (lowers it). We do not know what your CYA or pH is yet. Plain, unscented liquid bleach primarily moves one parameter: Chlorine. This is the primary reason we recommend it. Yes, liquid bleach adds a little bit of salt but so do other forms of chlorine.

Once you test your pool and assuming your CYA is low (<= to around 30-40 ppm) and pH is in the 7.5 - 7.8 range, you can use the pucks for a short time. In addition to testing FC/CC 5-7 days a week, you will need to test the pH at least twice a week and CYA every 1-2 weeks to make sure it doesn't go too high. Better yet, I like the idea of saving the pucks for use when you are out of town and using liquid bleach for ongoing FC dosing. Pucks will keep for quite some time - I've had some for a couple of years - if they are kept sealed in their original container and stored out of direct sunlight, preferably in as cool a location as practical. I only use pucks when I'm on vacation and have always come home to a clear pool.

I would also familiarize yourself with the Pool Math tool. It will help tremendously with dosing.