Does pool with no spa harm resale?

I would not count on the pool with or without a spa to have an impact on resale.

Pools are very polarizing (because people think they are hard to maintain and expensive). Some people want them, others definitely do not. So by having a pool you have eliminated some of the market from having any interest in your house.

Install what YOU want and will enjoy.

I would not count on the pool with or without a spa to have an impact on resale.

Pools are very polarizing (because people think they are hard to maintain and expensive). Some people want them, others definitely do not. So by having a pool you have eliminated some of the market from having any interest in your house.

This.

This is very true

Well I am going to give you a crazy example. A house in Bee Cave, Tx 2004 was purchased for 575k. The pool was very very very basic diving pool. No spa, heater, or polaris. ONE skimmer and a main drain. Sold the house in 2012 for 900k.

Well I am going to give you a crazy example. A house in Bee Cave, Tx 2004 was purchased for 575k. The pool was very very very basic diving pool. No spa, heater, or polaris. ONE skimmer and a main drain. Sold the house in 2012 for 900k.
That likely has nothing to do with whether there was a pool or not, so not sure how that helps ;)

I also agree with this. :)

As already mentioned, if people are not in the market for a pool or a spa you will lose that market anyway. I personally feel that if someone is looking for a home with a pool then it does not have to have a spa too. You will have some of the market looking for only a spa and no pool. That being said I would skip the spa and use the money towards other stuff.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is something to be said for a stand-alone hot tub ... cheaper, more jets and bells and whistles, and can be added any time. On the downside, you have to maintain the chemistry in 2 separate bodies of water.

I agree with Jason, there are points in favor of a stand alone spa / hot tub, enough so that plenty of pool owners would prefer that stand alone option. As a person that has looked for houses with pools, I can say the thing I look for in a pool is quality, not bells and whistles, many of those can be added later, but if quality is lacking there is nothing to build on but a hole in the ground.

I asked my realtor (one of the top in Vegas AND #1 in his company) and he told me he's never seen a deal killed because a pool doesn't have a spa. He did however say we should plan on removing the above ground/stand alone spa we plan on installing prior to selling.

For us, we want to use our spa as an actual spa; 100+ jets, maintain hotter temps, contoured seats etc. Sure, the in-ground look 1000x better but for us we're more concerned with actual use. Two of our three neighbors said if they had to do it again they'd go stand alone and the one who said he'd do attached again, said it's mostly used by his younger kids and their friends, we don't have young children and even if we did I'm not sure I'd do an attached spa so they had a place to play.

Depends on the area too I think. Seeing an attached spa here in New England is definitely the exception vs the norm. But from looking at threads here, you see just the opposite in the warmer regions. But I agree with what's been said - adding a pool will take some people out of the mix. The smart ones will be thrilled as you never recoup the cost to put it in when you sell, so they save money if they wanted a pool.

I can't tell you for certain but when we were buying this house no spa meant we passed on the house. We looked at 5 or 6 houses, out of about 30, without a spa and we kept going until we found one we liked with a spa. A spa to us just added that much more pool time throughout the year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.