Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does pool with no spa harm resale?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does pool with no spa harm resale?

Hi

Does not having a spa when building and in ground pool have a negative impact on resale other factors? We're debating if a spa is worth the extra money.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does pool with no spa harm resale?

I would not count on the pool with or without a spa to have an impact on resale.

Pools are very polarizing (because people think they are hard to maintain and expensive). Some people want them, others definitely do not. So by having a pool you have eliminated some of the market from having any interest in your house.

Install what YOU want and will enjoy.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Speaking from the perspective of a real estate broker, don't base your decision on resale value.

If someone wants your house bad enough, it's not going to be the lack of a spa that holds them back.
    18k gal AG Sand Filter K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I would not count on the pool with or without a spa to have an impact on resale.

Pools are very polarizing (because people think they are hard to maintain and expensive). Some people want them, others definitely do not. So by having a pool you have eliminated some of the market from having any interest in your house.

This.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

This is very true
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

6. Back To Top    #6

Well I am going to give you a crazy example. A house in Bee Cave, Tx 2004 was purchased for 575k. The pool was very very very basic diving pool. No spa, heater, or polaris. ONE skimmer and a main drain. Sold the house in 2012 for 900k.
    28k gal/raised spa, IG quartzscape, WhistperFlo 2 speed B2984T,DEV60 filter,Lxi400 NG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner, DIY Chlorine injection, Build completion 7/2013

7. Back To Top    #7

We are just starting our build and are not doing a spa. We wanted to spend our money on an outdoor living area instead.
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyB View Post
    Well I am going to give you a crazy example. A house in Bee Cave, Tx 2004 was purchased for 575k. The pool was very very very basic diving pool. No spa, heater, or polaris. ONE skimmer and a main drain. Sold the house in 2012 for 900k.
    That likely has nothing to do with whether there was a pool or not, so not sure how that helps
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

I also agree with this.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

As already mentioned, if people are not in the market for a pool or a spa you will lose that market anyway. I personally feel that if someone is looking for a home with a pool then it does not have to have a spa too. You will have some of the market looking for only a spa and no pool. That being said I would skip the spa and use the money towards other stuff.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

11. Back To Top    #11

There is something to be said for a stand-alone hot tub ... cheaper, more jets and bells and whistles, and can be added any time. On the downside, you have to maintain the chemistry in 2 separate bodies of water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

I said CRAZY example haha . My point was that a house went for 900k with a non heated pool. I doubt a spa would have changed the price point
    28k gal/raised spa, IG quartzscape, WhistperFlo 2 speed B2984T,DEV60 filter,Lxi400 NG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner, DIY Chlorine injection, Build completion 7/2013

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyB View Post
    I said CRAZY example haha . My point was that a house went for 900k with a non heated pool. I doubt a spa would have changed the price point
    Well, if you can easily pay 900k for house, you can easily have the pool removed or add a spa depending on your desires
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

I agree with Jason, there are points in favor of a stand alone spa / hot tub, enough so that plenty of pool owners would prefer that stand alone option. As a person that has looked for houses with pools, I can say the thing I look for in a pool is quality, not bells and whistles, many of those can be added later, but if quality is lacking there is nothing to build on but a hole in the ground.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

15. Back To Top    #15

Well, if you can easily pay 900k for house, you can easily have the pool removed or add a spa depending on your desires
    Very true.

16. Back To Top    #16

I asked my realtor (one of the top in Vegas AND #1 in his company) and he told me he's never seen a deal killed because a pool doesn't have a spa. He did however say we should plan on removing the above ground/stand alone spa we plan on installing prior to selling.

For us, we want to use our spa as an actual spa; 100+ jets, maintain hotter temps, contoured seats etc. Sure, the in-ground look 1000x better but for us we're more concerned with actual use. Two of our three neighbors said if they had to do it again they'd go stand alone and the one who said he'd do attached again, said it's mostly used by his younger kids and their friends, we don't have young children and even if we did I'm not sure I'd do an attached spa so they had a place to play.
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

17. Back To Top    #17

Depends on the area too I think. Seeing an attached spa here in New England is definitely the exception vs the norm. But from looking at threads here, you see just the opposite in the warmer regions. But I agree with what's been said - adding a pool will take some people out of the mix. The smart ones will be thrilled as you never recoup the cost to put it in when you sell, so they save money if they wanted a pool.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

18. Back To Top    #18

We never considered a spa because I just do not like them. I figured the pool would not add anything to resale so it was just a little more money in my pocket at the end of it all.
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

19. Back To Top    #19

We built our pool with no spa and bought a stand alone spa a couple of years later.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

20. Back To Top    #20

I can't tell you for certain but when we were buying this house no spa meant we passed on the house. We looked at 5 or 6 houses, out of about 30, without a spa and we kept going until we found one we liked with a spa. A spa to us just added that much more pool time throughout the year.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.