Please advise! What size pump for my setup?

My motor went out, so I am looking at either replacing the motor or buying a whole new pump. I currently have a 1.5 horsepower Hayward super pump that is single speed. I would love to get a dual speed setup so it will be more efficient. I am confused however, on exactly what size motor/pump I need.

My pool is approximately 30,000 gallons and it has two skimmers and a main drain. One skimmer is about 35 feet away from the pump, the other one about 55 feet away, and the main drain probably about 55 feet away from the pump. There are four return lines. I have a Hayward S244T filter and a Hayward gas heater.

I do also currently have an auxiliary pump that is connected to a jet in the pool that the previous owner used a dolphin robot with. There is also a water slide that has a water spigot integrated into the current system, but I did not use it last year so I'm not exactly sure how it works.

So, do I just stick with the 1.5 horsepower motor? If I do decide to replace just the motor, can I replace it with a two speed motor even though it is only a single speed right now?

I've attempted to attach some pics. Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated!

image.jpg
image.jpg

Sure you can replace it with a 2-speed version ... and either buy an end cap that has a switch installed or add an external switch to manually select the speed.

You should match the HP and the SF of the new motor to the old motor (well, actually the product of the 2).
Make sure you get a new shaft seal as well.
If you wanted to go to a smaller 1HP motor, you would also need to replace the impeller.

One thing we need to check though ... is your current pump wired for 115V or 230V? Most 2-speed motors only come in 230V.

Sticking with a 1.5HP is fine and the only thing you would have to do is hook the new motor up and adjust some of the wiring.

What do the wires look that that ran to the motor? Although more importantly, what kind or circuit breaker feeds the pump motor.

If the wires run directly from the breaker to the pump: Another slot in the breaker box ... and relocating the neutral (marked with tape) to another hot line. Although I am not 100% that is acceptable as far as codes are concerned.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.