Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please advise! What size pump for my setup?

1. Back To Top    #1

Please advise! What size pump for my setup?

My motor went out, so I am looking at either replacing the motor or buying a whole new pump. I currently have a 1.5 horsepower Hayward super pump that is single speed. I would love to get a dual speed setup so it will be more efficient. I am confused however, on exactly what size motor/pump I need.

My pool is approximately 30,000 gallons and it has two skimmers and a main drain. One skimmer is about 35 feet away from the pump, the other one about 55 feet away, and the main drain probably about 55 feet away from the pump. There are four return lines. I have a Hayward S244T filter and a Hayward gas heater.

I do also currently have an auxiliary pump that is connected to a jet in the pool that the previous owner used a dolphin robot with. There is also a water slide that has a water spigot integrated into the current system, but I did not use it last year so I'm not exactly sure how it works.

So, do I just stick with the 1.5 horsepower motor? If I do decide to replace just the motor, can I replace it with a two speed motor even though it is only a single speed right now?

I've attempted to attach some pics. Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated!

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20x40 IGP w/ vinyl liner ~ approximately 30,000 gallons ~ Hayward 1.5hp pump ~ Hayward S244T Sand Filter ~ Hayward Gas Heater ~ 1 drain, 2 skimmers, 4 returns ~ Protect-A-Child Fence ~TF-100 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please advise! What size pump for my setup?

Sure you can replace it with a 2-speed version ... and either buy an end cap that has a switch installed or add an external switch to manually select the speed.

You should match the HP and the SF of the new motor to the old motor (well, actually the product of the 2).
    Make sure you get a new shaft seal as well.
    If you wanted to go to a smaller 1HP motor, you would also need to replace the impeller.

One thing we need to check though ... is your current pump wired for 115V or 230V? Most 2-speed motors only come in 230V.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

So, if I keep it at 1.5hp, I won't have to change anything?

Should I stick with a 1.5hp?

How do I figure out if it is currently 110 or 230?

BTW, I have NO idea why my pics are up-side-down! They are right side up when I upload them!

J
    20x40 IGP w/ vinyl liner ~ approximately 30,000 gallons ~ Hayward 1.5hp pump ~ Hayward S244T Sand Filter ~ Hayward Gas Heater ~ 1 drain, 2 skimmers, 4 returns ~ Protect-A-Child Fence ~TF-100 kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Sticking with a 1.5HP is fine and the only thing you would have to do is hook the new motor up and adjust some of the wiring.

What do the wires look that that ran to the motor? Although more importantly, what kind or circuit breaker feeds the pump motor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's what the writing looks like:

image.jpg

The circuit breaker is a single breaker. It's either 20 or 30 amps.

What else do you need to know?

6. Back To Top    #6

If it is on a single breaker, the obviously the motor is 115V, which makes finding a 2-speed motor a little more difficult, but I think they exist.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Bummer. Maybe I should just stick with a single speed? What does it take to switch it over to 230V?

8. Back To Top    #8

If the wires run directly from the breaker to the pump: Another slot in the breaker box ... and relocating the neutral (marked with tape) to another hot line. Although I am not 100% that is acceptable as far as codes are concerned.
    Jason, TFP Moderator