High CYA- Process after Draining Half my Pool?

Apr 28, 2015
chino CA
Hello community, I received my test kit over the weekend, results below.

FC= 12
PH= 7.8
TA= 130
CH= 380
CYA= 100+
CC= 0.5
Water Temp= 68F

According to TFPC method my CYA was way too high, I decided to drain half my pool 7K gallons. Interestingly during this process I measured and discovered I only have a 15,000 gallon versus a 24,000 gallon pool. Will be much cheaper to purchase a SWG system now. Enough ranting, I am confused about how much chlorine to add now that I replenished pool with fresh water. I am at work right now finished filling last night, I want to swing by store and pick-up liquid bleach. Should I begin the S-L-A-M process or test water and balance out. I plugged in some numbers on Pool Math and found if I wanted to shock at a level of 18 starting from 0 FC, I would need to add 3 gallons + 1 quart of 8.25% bleach. Seems kind of low for slamming. I read another post "1st SLAM" the guy is using 30 gallons of clorox and still cant raise the FC high enough for his 24000 gallon pool. I appreciate your help with this.

You need to test the water ... at least FC, pH, and CYA ... so that you know how to proceed with the SLAM.

Why do you think a FC of 18ppm is the right shock level? The required level is a function of your CYA as shown in the FC/CYA Chart.

You do realize you have to keep adding bleach to maintain the shock level right?

That person must be dealing with something in the water, like ammonia which will consume the FC quickly.

My water is pretty clear, I just thought lets start off with a good S-L-A-M for sanitary purposes. Since replacing half my water thought I may need a stronger treatment.

Jbizzle I was playing with some numbers assuming my CYA dropped to 50 and FC was at 0 shock treatment according to CYA chart is at 20 FC. I was being conservative at 18 FC.

I will test my water this evening and post new results. Thanks

Just ran the numbers:
FC 6.5
CC less than .5
PH 7.6
TA 120
CH 280
CYA 45
Water temp 74

What next?
You're almost there. A little acid to get pH to 7.2, let it mix half an hour or so, then jugs away! If you check the FC after the sun goes down and check it again tomorrow morning before it comes up, you might discover you've already passed all 3 tests and the SLAM is done. Wouldn't that be handy?

attachment.php

My thoughts as well, I never slammed the pool, these are my numbers since refilling after draining. I am using the pool pucks right now but will be switching to bleach method. I have not done anything to my pool since refilling.

One question when testing CYA with K-2006 kit. Instructions indicate adding drops until black dot not visible. I have pretty good eye sight can see reminance of black dot completely goes away at 40 could barely see at 45 am I reading this correctly?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My thoughts as well, I never slammed the pool, these are my numbers since refilling after draining. I am using the pool pucks right now but will be switching to bleach method. I have not done anything to my pool since refilling.

One question when testing CYA with K-2006 kit. Instructions indicate adding drops until black dot not visible. I have pretty good eye sight can see reminance of black dot completely goes away at 40 could barely see at 45 am I reading this correctly?
I think you're getting your tests confused. The CYA test is 50-50 sample and reagent, and then you dribble it down into the view tube until the dot disappears

You DO understand that the pucks are why you had to drain your pool, right? Every single puck you add increases the CYA. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/142-how-to-chlorinate-your-pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.