True benefits of Saltwater Magic?

hendo926

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Berwyn, PA
I am getting ready to open my pool this weekend and plan to bypass the SWG during initial start-up then putting it back on-line after getting any leftover Winter debris out of the system, introducing all of the opening chemicals, and getting the water back to normal. It looks like most pool supply stores sell a Saltwater Magic kit for monthly use. Does this really prolong the life of the salt cell? Is it worth doing, or just the supply co. whacking you for an extra $45/mo.?

I have never heard of it ... I have no idea how they can claim to extend the life of the cell. I mean if you are spending $45/mo, in less than a year that would be the cost of a replacement cell. Seems like a waste of money to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking up the MSDS ... it is just borates which may lower the likelihood of scaling I think. There are certainly much cheaper ways to add borates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.