Arizona, 17K Plaster

Current levels

FC: 6
CC: 0
pH: 7.8-8.0
CH: 425
TA: 120
CYA: 50

Pool is clear everything seems to be fine. 10% Liquid Chlorine is fairly cheap here in Arizona (5.50 two gallons) so that's what I use because Im not sure I trust dollar store bleach (yet). Any way, I feel like im burning a lot of chlorine. If I don't check and adjust every day it will drop to 3ppm. Im wondering if I should up my cya to 60-70, to help prevent loss? Also is there some kind of calculation to where I can say ok, I need to add 1 cup per day?

Every pool will vary, but based on your location, you could ease your way up to 60 ppm CYA and would have better results with chlorine loss. Most pools will lose 1-3 ppm per day with no bather load. Mostly dependent on CYA level, location and how much sun each day.

Before you bump the CYA up lets make sure there is nothing in the water consuming your FC.

Tonight conduct a Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT).

Still, in AZ a 3ppm drop during the day is not that unusual.

If you pass the OCLT then yes, bump the CYA to 60 and for now I would immediately bump your target FC to 7 - 8 so that at no time with loss you go below your minimum of 4.

We generally recommend testing and using PoolMath to calculate how much bleach you need to add to get back to your target.

The most important thing is that you never let the FC level drop below the minimum listed for your CYA in the FC/CYA Chart.

I would expect that you have to add about 1/2 gallon of 10% everyday.

We generally recommend testing and using PoolMath to calculate how much bleach you need to add to get back to your target.

The most important thing is that you never let the FC level drop below the minimum listed for your CYA in the FC/CYA Chart.

I would expect that you have to add about 1/2 gallon of 10% everyday.

Pool math....using it every day!
My CC has been coming back 0 so I don't suspect anything is eating it, I suspect burn off. Ill do an OCLT tonight!

3ppm / day here near 32nd and Shea and 1/2gall 10% each morning - btw my CYA is up to 70 now although I would prefer it be down at 60.
I sometimes think adding all that bleach is excessive but my kids have been in the pool for 60 straight days so far this year.
20 gallons of bleach : $56
60 days of swimming : priceless
Cardano

3ppm / day doesn't seem that excessive. I'm in Tempe and have a 7900 gal pool. Currently my cya is a bit over 50 and I'm adding just under a quart of 10% daily so my fc doesn't drop below 4. I test and add in the evening around sundown. Been on the tfp method for 3 weeks now. 2-3 ppm fc seems to be my daily avg loss, and Iv been keeping a daily log since I started.

My OCLT came back good as expected. I bumped the CYA to 60. Ive been using actual 10% chlorine, which is reasonably cheap. I need to find some good dollar store bleech that's 10%. Cardano and Carpainterinaz...have you found a good source?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.