Arizona, 17K Plaster

Current levels

FC: 6
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.8-8.0
    CH: 425
    TA: 120
    CYA: 50

Pool is clear everything seems to be fine. 10% Liquid Chlorine is fairly cheap here in Arizona (5.50 two gallons) so that's what I use because Im not sure I trust dollar store bleach (yet). Any way, I feel like im burning a lot of chlorine. If I don't check and adjust every day it will drop to 3ppm. Im wondering if I should up my cya to 60-70, to help prevent loss? Also is there some kind of calculation to where I can say ok, I need to add 1 cup per day?
    17k IG Plaster pool (2004), Pentair V3050 Intelliflo(2015), Hayward C3030 325cf cartridge filter
    Zodiac G3, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Burning alot of chlorine

Every pool will vary, but based on your location, you could ease your way up to 60 ppm CYA and would have better results with chlorine loss. Most pools will lose 1-3 ppm per day with no bather load. Mostly dependent on CYA level, location and how much sun each day.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Before you bump the CYA up lets make sure there is nothing in the water consuming your FC.

Tonight conduct a Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT).

Still, in AZ a 3ppm drop during the day is not that unusual.

If you pass the OCLT then yes, bump the CYA to 60 and for now I would immediately bump your target FC to 7 - 8 so that at no time with loss you go below your minimum of 4.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

We generally recommend testing and using PoolMath to calculate how much bleach you need to add to get back to your target.

The most important thing is that you never let the FC level drop below the minimum listed for your CYA in the FC/CYA Chart.

I would expect that you have to add about 1/2 gallon of 10% everyday.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    We generally recommend testing and using PoolMath to calculate how much bleach you need to add to get back to your target.

The most important thing is that you never let the FC level drop below the minimum listed for your CYA in the FC/CYA Chart.

I would expect that you have to add about 1/2 gallon of 10% everyday.
    Pool math....using it every day!
    My CC has been coming back 0 so I don't suspect anything is eating it, I suspect burn off. Ill do an OCLT tonight!
    17k IG Plaster pool (2004), Pentair V3050 Intelliflo(2015), Hayward C3030 325cf cartridge filter

6. Back To Top    #6

3ppm / day here near 32nd and Shea and 1/2gall 10% each morning - btw my CYA is up to 70 now although I would prefer it be down at 60.
    I sometimes think adding all that bleach is excessive but my kids have been in the pool for 60 straight days so far this year.
    20 gallons of bleach : $56
    60 days of swimming : priceless
    Cardano
    20k IG PebbleTec w/ STA-RITE PE5E-182L 1HP and Zodiac Polaris PB4 for Polaris 380 vacuum / Hayward ProGrid DE4820 Filter / TF-100 but I havent broken down and gotten a speed stir yet

7. Back To Top    #7

3ppm / day doesn't seem that excessive. I'm in Tempe and have a 7900 gal pool. Currently my cya is a bit over 50 and I'm adding just under a quart of 10% daily so my fc doesn't drop below 4. I test and add in the evening around sundown. Been on the tfp method for 3 weeks now. 2-3 ppm fc seems to be my daily avg loss, and Iv been keeping a daily log since I started.
    7900 Gal custom built in ground beach edge pool
    Custom matched Montego Bay color mini pebble interior finish with abalone shell
    Pentair variable speed pump and cartridge filter
    4 main pool returns and 3 24" sheer descent water falls
    3 Pentair intellibrite led lights in the pool and 2 matching landscape lights

8. Back To Top    #8

My OCLT came back good as expected. I bumped the CYA to 60. Ive been using actual 10% chlorine, which is reasonably cheap. I need to find some good dollar store bleech that's 10%. Cardano and Carpainterinaz...have you found a good source?