Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Baquacil conversion advice needed

1. Back To Top    #1

Baquacil conversion advice needed

Preface:
    My wife and I purchased our home last August and the previous owners had used Baquacil for 10+ years. It's a 12,500 gal above ground pool.

Problems:
    I started the conversion on Saturday by dumping in 5 gallons of 8.25% bleach, then another 5 gallons Sunday. The water turned a yellowish green color, kind of looks like lemonade. I realized after the fact that I should have lowered my pH first, but did so on Sunday. I tried a few more gallons of bleach, but wasn't getting barely any FC to register with my test kit. I read somewhere you can use trichloro-s-triazinetrione, which I had in my shock, so I used some of that and saw a noticeable jump in FC. I got some cheaper shock from walmart and have been putting in 2-3 bags a day to keep the FC up. The water is still really cloudy. Am I doing something wrong or just haven't given it enough time? Should I have just stuck with the bleach? I've been backwashing the filter a couple of times per day and running the vac once a day. I'm brand new to pools and their chemistry so I could really use some advice! Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Baquacil conversion advice needed

I'd like to start off by welcoming you to TFP! We hope you enjoy your stay here.

For starters my first concern is that I don't see any signs you have one of the suggested Test Kits. Trying to complete a Baqua conversion without a proper FAS/DPD kit is a pain on a good day. The investment will clearly pay off in the long run.

As for your questions. It sounds like you are working on the conversion without a set plan. I would start off suggesting you read the Baquacil Conversion article in Pool School as it likely would address many of your questions. I would suggest adjusting your pH level to 7.2 to 7.4 asap, then don't worry about it until the conversion is complete. From there use liquid chlorine only during the conversion and maintain a 15ppm FC level. The more you can raise your chlorine level up to 15 the faster the conversion will go. It will likely use a good bit of bleach, but in the long run will be much cheaper than either using Baquacil or trying to convert using other forums of chlorine.

Lastly, in addition to backflushing and vacuuming I would suggest you brush the pool down as much as possible. The more you brush during the conversion the more you are able to help break down the BaquaGoo. At least once a day is suggested......I'd try more personally.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info! I started with this kit, http://www.amazon.com/Poolmaster-222...orine+test+kit

I did get the pH in the 7.2-7.4 range on Sunday and it seems to be staying there. I guess I'll go and buy a whole lot more bleach! I read that article and did the math to get my pool to 15ppm FC, but my test kit only goes to 5ppm, so I wasn't sure where I was at once it was around 5.

Is there a recommended brush for the sides? The previous owners left a soft sponge on a handle, but I'm sure there's something better.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan57 View Post
    I read that article and did the math to get my pool to 15ppm FC, but my test kit only goes to 5ppm, so I wasn't sure where I was at once it was around 5.
    That's why you need a FAS/DPD kit which measures FC up to 50ppm.

Just go with a standard nylon pool brush you can get at a local pool store, online or even at Walmart.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    That's why you need a FAS/DPD kit which measures FC up to 50ppm.

Just go with a standard nylon pool brush you can get at a local pool store, online or even at Walmart.
    Just ordered one! Thanks for the advice.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!!!

These are the Recommended Test Kits. Looks like yours is missing the CYA and CH and FAS-DPD which is critical. This is an investment you need to make

Also, I would not use the powdered chlorine as it is going to add CYA and you do not want to do that until the conversion is almost done.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these to get you on the same page:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!