Vacuum after opening

Feb 27, 2015
Grand Rapids MI
We just had our pool opened this past weekend. They did a vacuuming when they opened it but now all of the water is clear and the sediment has dropped to the bottom. My question is when I vacuum all of it out should I vacuum as normal or should I vacuum to waste? If I vacuum to waste I will lose a lot of water correct?

We just had our pool opened this past weekend. They did a vacuuming when they opened it but now all of the water is clear and the sediment has dropped to the bottom. My question is when I vacuum all of it out should I vacuum as normal or should I vacuum to waste? If I vacuum to waste I will lose a lot of water correct?
Yes. If there's heaps of stuff, you'll clog the filter. But if it's just dust, that's what the filter is for.

Thanks Richard. I tried at first tonight to just vacuum as normal using the filter as I thought it was not a ton of stuff, just pollen and some dirt. I have 2 skimmers and plug one to get the best suction out of the other. The suction was ok at first but then pretty much stopped. I went to the pool pump and cleaned the skimmer there and then the suction came back for a bit. But the same thing happened and I noticed when going back to the pool pump skimmer the water wasn't full and it was pulling in air it seemed. I then decided to backwash the filter and get pressure back to normal. I did that and thought to vacuum to waste. The suction started off good but then did the same thing where I lost it and the pump skimmer wasn't full of water completely and seemed to have air in it.

Any ideas what's going on here? I can vacuum for a minute and then I lose suction pressure. Am I doing something wrong?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.