Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Reduce Very High Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Reduce Very High Chlorine

I had a solar pool cover on the last four weeks and inadvertently kept the SWG running at 60%. I am ready to swim and tested yesterday and the FC is very high. I decided to go to Leslie's to get second opinion on the free chlorine. The free chlorine is very high at 25 and I need to get it down because we have a pool party on Thursday. I have the SWG turned off so it is not producing any chlorine. I don't think the FC will reduce all the way to 4.0 by Thursday by itself. I would like to chemically fix the high free chlorine.

Leslie's wanted me to buy their Chlorine reducer but after being part of this forum I balk and doubt whatever they tell me. What is the best/quickest way to reduce the free chlorine? The pool calculator does not tell me what and how much to use. Does anybody know how much I should use and are there any adverse effects I need to plan for?

FC = 24
    PH = 7.5
    TA = 80
    CYA = 70
    35,000 Gallon Inground Pool 20' x 40' / Vinyl Liner / Pentair IC40 SWG / Hayward Sand Filter
    First time pool owner in 2014 but pool is about 6 years old

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Reduce Very High Chlorine

Shut off the SWG and leave the cover off. You'll lose a lot of FC when the sun hits the water.

Also, with 70 CYA, shock level is 28 and you're already below that. It's safe to swim right now. Might be rough on swimsuits though.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

At this point just let the FC drift down on it's own. At FC of 24, you are below the recommended shock (safe to swim up to) level of 28 for your CYA of 70. Additionally, the higher FC will be brought down further by the bather load during your party.

Sounds like you should sit back and enjoy the party.

Thanks Richard - I should have just waited for the expert!
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Tool View Post
    At this point just let the FC drift down on it's own. At FC of 24, you are below the recommended shock (safe to swim up to) level of 28 for your CYA of 70. Additionally, the higher FC will be brought down further by the bather load during your party.

Sounds like you should sit back and enjoy the party.

Thanks Richard - I should have just waited for the expert!
    Nope, not at all. You were probably typing when my reply went up. It's going to get crazy here really soon, and the number of new threads every day will be so mind-boggling that us "experts" won't be able to keep up. We need your help. You came up with the same answer as me, that shows you understand. Don't wait for us, jump in!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by timothyd9 View Post
    I don't think the FC will reduce all the way to 4.0 by Thursday by itself. I would like to chemically fix the high free chlorine.

CYA = 70
    I agree with everyone else about just letting it drift down, but your comment I cut out concerns me. With CYA 70 in SWG pool 3 is your absolute minimum. Planning a pool party to start with 4ppm may be flirting with disaster. A normal target for your CYA level is 5 and with a pool party I might even want it up around 8 or 9.

In your nice Hot-lanta weather it should drift down fine.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Thats an interesting point, when having a big party, do people pre-load with a bit more chlorine than they need in general? is that recommended? it makes sense.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by umpalumpajay View Post
    Thats an interesting point, when having a big party, do people pre-load with a bit more chlorine than they need in general? is that recommended? it makes sense.
    Mnay do. I'm willing to admit I "borrowed" the idea from Richard320
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

Even with my SWG, I often bump my FC up with a bottle of bleach before heavy use.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by umpalumpajay View Post
    Before a party, I definitely up the FC. My kids know the NO PEE IN THE POOL policy, but other kids and adults consuming adult beverages sometimes do not. My minimum FC is usually 3 depending on time of year, current CYA. Target is 5. I'll bump it up to 6-8 maybe even 10 before a party, depending on expected guests and my "ability" to test the pool after the party.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

i'd thought about doing that, we havent had a big party yet, but i'll pop it up from 5-6 to maybe 8 when i do. lots of kids = better safe than sorry.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.