Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
All,
I started using the BBB process VERY late last year.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/86267-trouble-increasing-pH-with-pool-covered
I am VERY glad I found this GREAT forum! My CYA level was likely ~300. I dumped and replaced several times last fall and got it down. I slammed according to the FC/CYA chart. I pulled the pool cover off to a discover a clear pool. Here is what I opened to:
FC: 2.5
CC: 1.5
PH: 7.4
TA: 110
CH: 175
CYA: 65
Comments?
I dumped and replaced some water again this spring and measured 45 CYA. I've had the Liquidator running just over 1/2 open and a week later I have this:
FC: 6.5
CC: .5
PH: 7.4
CYA: 45
(TA & CH not tested)
I'm planning on replacing the flow control valve on the Liquidator with something more than a 1/4 turn.
I know it's early, but I feel very good about how this is going. My goal for the CYA is around 30. Too low? I'm hoping the Liquidator can keep up with the chlorine demand come July and August.
I know most of you guys are sold on the Borates. What (if any) is the down side to the borates?
Thanks!
Tim

My goal for the CYA is around 30. Too low?
Maybe. Put in your sig where Kingston is (Jamaica, NY?) and we can help better

Not everyone is completely sold on borates. In my large pool, the cost is a bit of a deterent.

There really is no downside other than your wallet and many, but not all, members report water quality benefits.

Borates for the win. The process was fun for my son and me, and our pool looks and feels great. The ph and TA stay stabilized which is what I was wanting.

Thanks for the replies! I was sold on borates last fall and the article sold me again. I ordered 55# from Duda last night. That will take me to almost 40 ppm borate. I figure my CYA will drop a bit as time goes by. No more dump and re-filling! It's nice to have a crystal clear pool and no constant adding of ph increaser! Goodbye trichlor! Thanks for the link to your control valve, hope I can find one similar.
Thanks Again!

Added 55# of Boric Acid over several hours yesterday through the skimmer. The FC had been 4 on 5/13, didn't test yesterday (mistake), FC today was 0 today (had CC of .5). BEAUTIFUL water, hasn't looked this good in years. pH showed NO change.

With the CC less than 1, I decided to turn the Liquidator up from 2-1/2 to MAX. I also poured 1 gallon of 8.25% into the jets.

Any one else experience this FC drop when adding so much Boric Acid?

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.