Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opeing Water Chemistry and Borates question

1. Back To Top    #1

Opeing Water Chemistry and Borates question

All,
    I started using the BBB process VERY late last year.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...h-pool-covered
    I am VERY glad I found this GREAT forum! My CYA level was likely ~300. I dumped and replaced several times last fall and got it down. I slammed according to the FC/CYA chart. I pulled the pool cover off to a discover a clear pool. Here is what I opened to:
    FC: 2.5
    CC: 1.5
    PH: 7.4
    TA: 110
    CH: 175
    CYA: 65
    Comments?
    I dumped and replaced some water again this spring and measured 45 CYA. I've had the Liquidator running just over 1/2 open and a week later I have this:
    FC: 6.5
    CC: .5
    PH: 7.4
    CYA: 45
    (TA & CH not tested)
    I'm planning on replacing the flow control valve on the Liquidator with something more than a 1/4 turn.
    I know it's early, but I feel very good about how this is going. My goal for the CYA is around 30. Too low? I'm hoping the Liquidator can keep up with the chlorine demand come July and August.
    I know most of you guys are sold on the Borates. What (if any) is the down side to the borates?
    Thanks!
    Tim
    30,000 gallons IG Vinyl; Sand filter; Haywood XP2607 (single speed) pump
    Anchor Industries solid cover; 2001 build date; Kreepy cleaner; Liquidator using 8.25% liquid chlorine;
    50 ppm Borates (Boric Acid); TF-100 Kit with SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Opeing Water Chemistry and Borates question

My goal for the CYA is around 30. Too low?
    Maybe. Put in your sig where Kingston is (Jamaica, NY?) and we can help better

Not everyone is completely sold on borates. In my large pool, the cost is a bit of a deterent.

There really is no downside other than your wallet and many, but not all, members report water quality benefits.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Done! Sorry for the oversight. After finally getting my pool crystal clear, the thought of dumping ANYTHING into it gets scrutinized.
    Anchor Industries solid cover; 2001 build date; Kreepy cleaner; Liquidator using 8.25% liquid chlorine;

4. Back To Top    #4

Have a look at this article about Borates. I personally am a fan of borates, seems to make the water in pool and my hot tub better.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...es-Why-and-How

Your CYA is 45 now, why not just leave it there? 30 is OK, the range is 30-50.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by TimTucker View Post
    I'm planning on replacing the flow control valve on the Liquidator with something more than a 1/4 turn.
    I now use one of these http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...9061&catid=858 and use the flow control valve as a shutoff valve.
    30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade,TigerShark cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir,WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

6. Back To Top    #6

Borates for the win. The process was fun for my son and me, and our pool looks and feels great. The ph and TA stay stabilized which is what I was wanting.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the replies! I was sold on borates last fall and the article sold me again. I ordered 55# from Duda last night. That will take me to almost 40 ppm borate. I figure my CYA will drop a bit as time goes by. No more dump and re-filling! It's nice to have a crystal clear pool and no constant adding of ph increaser! Goodbye trichlor! Thanks for the link to your control valve, hope I can find one similar.
    Thanks Again!

8. Back To Top    #8

Added 55# of Boric Acid over several hours yesterday through the skimmer. The FC had been 4 on 5/13, didn't test yesterday (mistake), FC today was 0 today (had CC of .5). BEAUTIFUL water, hasn't looked this good in years. pH showed NO change.

With the CC less than 1, I decided to turn the Liquidator up from 2-1/2 to MAX. I also poured 1 gallon of 8.25% into the jets.

Any one else experience this FC drop when adding so much Boric Acid?

Thanks!