Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie trying to open pool - sand filter gauge seems stuck

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie trying to open pool - sand filter gauge seems stuck

Hello. We put our pool in mid summer last year, so this is my first time attempting to open it. Everything seems to be going well, water is nice and clear. Filled it, got the pump and everything up and running, put some super shock in it and thought I was golden. I had a quick look at the pressure gauge on the sand filter, and regardless of whether or not the pump is on, the gauge is wrapped all the way around and is stuck on the stopper thing. Can I assume the gauge is bad? I'd call the guy who installed the pool, but he is impossible to get in touch with, so I've given up on him. Have a look at the pic;

IMG_1567.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie trying to open pool - sand filter gauge seems stuck

Welcome to TFP!!

Sorry you found us under these circumstances.... Yes, the gauge is bad.

You really want a quality glycerin-filled gauge that doesn't go a high as your old one. 6p PSI just doesn't give the detail you want most of the time. 30 is fine for pool use

Check here

Witht he pump off you should just be able to unscrew the old one and screw in the new one.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Awesome, thx for the quick response, I really appreciate it. Am I OK to run the pump while I track one of these down and get it installed?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by cdooer View Post
    Awesome, thx for the quick response, I really appreciate it. Am I OK to run the pump while I track one of these down and get it installed?
    Yeah. No problem running it like it is. You just won't know when it needs to be back washed until you replace the gauge.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Thx again folks.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Welcome to TFP!!

Sorry you found us under these circumstances.... Yes, the gauge is bad.

You really want a quality glycerin-filled gauge that doesn't go a high as your old one. 6p PSI just doesn't give the detail you want most of the time. 30 is fine for pool use

Check here

Witht he pump off you should just be able to unscrew the old one and screw in the new one.
    I just bought one of these gauges, and noticed that it says its freeze protected down to -4 F. It gets colder than that here in Ottawa on a regular basis in the winter. Should I just play it safe, and take it out and bring it in the house and store it in the basement during the winter? I do this with the pump already.
    24' Radiant Metric semi-in-ground pool w/Hayward SP5715W Pump. Newbie...I've been a pool owner for less than a year...go easy on me.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by cdooer View Post
    I just bought one of these gauges, and noticed that it says its freeze protected down to -4 F. It gets colder than that here in Ottawa on a regular basis in the winter. Should I just play it safe, and take it out and bring it in the house and store it in the basement during the winter? I do this with the pump already.
    Sounds like a very good idea. That is what I would do.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.