Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First opening

1. Back To Top    #1

First opening

I moved in to a new house late last summer and thanks to all the info here I uncovered the pool last week to almost perfect water. I just wanted to check to see if I should still raise to chlorine to shock level when first opening. Below are the results of my first tests, I've been adding some liquid chlorine that I had on hand, and I also have some granular shock and bromine tablets from the previous owner. Should I use the granular shock to raise CYA a little or is it ok where it is? I will keep an eye on the pH to make sure it's a little higher before we start swimming. Water temperature right now is pretty chilly (can't find my thermometer yet).

FC: 2
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.4
    TA: 60
    CH: 140
    CYA: ~35
    Filter pressure: 16
    Pool size: 25000gal inground Vinyl
    Hayward eVAC pro
    Pentair Intellifow VS
    Jacuzzi Laser250 sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: First opening

Yes raise it to shock level for 24 hours and 35 should be fine for CYA I your location. If you want to raise it some that is fine too. Maybe raise it to 40 using granular. Welcome back.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Your pH is fine for swimming. I'd hesitate to use granular shock, since it's acidic and will lower your pH and TA, which is already low. You have an inline chlorinator. Do you use it? If so, your CYA will also climb from that.

If the water is clear and there's no patches of algae, just treat it like it never closed. Raise the FC up to the proper level, give it a brush and vacuum, and work on the yard while you wait for it to warm up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, I've removed the reference to the chlorinator in my signature since I only use the tablets when I need to raise CYA and stick to bleach/liquid chlorine otherwise. We are also thinking of upgrading the pump and heater but I'll have to do some more reading first to see what makes sense for us.
    Pool size: 25000gal inground Vinyl
    Hayward eVAC pro
    Pentair Intellifow VS
    Jacuzzi Laser250 sand filter