First opening

DJ13

Aug 21, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I moved in to a new house late last summer and thanks to all the info here I uncovered the pool last week to almost perfect water. I just wanted to check to see if I should still raise to chlorine to shock level when first opening. Below are the results of my first tests, I've been adding some liquid chlorine that I had on hand, and I also have some granular shock and bromine tablets from the previous owner. Should I use the granular shock to raise CYA a little or is it ok where it is? I will keep an eye on the pH to make sure it's a little higher before we start swimming. Water temperature right now is pretty chilly (can't find my thermometer yet).

FC: 2
CC: 0
pH: 7.4
TA: 60
CH: 140
CYA: ~35
Filter pressure: 16

Your pH is fine for swimming. I'd hesitate to use granular shock, since it's acidic and will lower your pH and TA, which is already low. You have an inline chlorinator. Do you use it? If so, your CYA will also climb from that.

If the water is clear and there's no patches of algae, just treat it like it never closed. Raise the FC up to the proper level, give it a brush and vacuum, and work on the yard while you wait for it to warm up.

Thanks, I've removed the reference to the chlorinator in my signature since I only use the tablets when I need to raise CYA and stick to bleach/liquid chlorine otherwise. We are also thinking of upgrading the pump and heater but I'll have to do some more reading first to see what makes sense for us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.