New FG pool balancing

Mario P

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 9, 2014
Rio Rancho, NM
The pool has been completely drained and filled 12 days ago.
PB added some chemicals 9 days ago on Friday and told me he would be back, but hasn't yet.
Yesterday I did my first test and here are the results:

5/11/15 2:17 PM
FC 1.0
CC 0.5
PH 7.5
TA 120
CH 75
CYA 5 - estimate as I could still see the bubble and the tube was completely full.
Salt 0
Borate 0
Temp 82

So the question is, do I raise the CYA by using the autocholinator's tables or should I intervene?

Also, for the chlorine, I'm thinking of just buying some bleach at Sam's club and drive the FC up.

Whacha all think?

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

If you don't want algae to grow in your pool then you must keep the chlorine level above the minimum level for your CYA level based on this Chlorine CYA Chart. Even one day with FC below the minimum will give algae a foothold and it will start growing and you will have to SLAM your pool. Not adding CYA to your pool will require you to add chlorine more often during the day when the sun is on the pool because the sun will consume the chlorine faster without CYA in the pool.

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

DATE/TIME FC CC pH TA CH CYA Salt Borate Temp
5/11/15 2:17 PM 1.0 0.5 7.5 120 75 5 82

This is how I interpret it
FC 1.0
CC 0.5
PH 7.5
TA 120
CH 75
CYA 0
Salt 0
Borate 5
Temp 82

Sorry guys for confusion.
When I was posting it, the columns lined up, now they're not.

Here are the results in column format -- I will also update original post:

FC 1.0
CC 0.5
PH 7.5
TA 120
CH 75
CYA 5 - estimate as I could still see the bubble and the tube was completely full.
Salt 0
Borate 0
Temp 82

oooooooh, hahaha! there was no "0" in the salt column and i have a tendency to read right to left (its a weird habit). Get some CYA and chlorine in that pool stat! LOL!

I've added 121Oz of 8.25% bleach from Sam's club this morning.
If my calcs are correct, that should bring me up in line.

What's the best option/source for CYA?

I should say that I have a full bucket of the chlorine tablets that I don't plan on using much.
I figured I will run the automated chlorinator if we ever leave town, but that's about it.
If dumping 5-6 of those tables as a source of chlorine is a viable way and as a byproduct they will raise CYA to my target level (40), then I'm all for that.

I will also point out that we do have automatic pool cover that's on all the time -- well, with exception of the 1 or so hour a day that the wife and kids swim.
I say that because I hear that chlorine is burned of by direct sunlight and the amount of time the pool is covered almost totally eliminates that problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can buy CYA at Walmart or lowes. Usually about $14 for a 3lb container. Just put part of what you need in an old sock in the skimmer or in front of a return to dissolve. You can squeeze it every once in a while to make it dissolve faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.