Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New FG pool balancing

1. Back To Top    #1

New FG pool balancing

The pool has been completely drained and filled 12 days ago.
    PB added some chemicals 9 days ago on Friday and told me he would be back, but hasn't yet.
    Yesterday I did my first test and here are the results:

5/11/15 2:17 PM
    FC 1.0
    CC 0.5
    PH 7.5
    TA 120
    CH 75
    CYA 5 - estimate as I could still see the bubble and the tube was completely full.
    Salt 0
    Borate 0
    Temp 82

So the question is, do I raise the CYA by using the autocholinator's tables or should I intervene?

Also, for the chlorine, I'm thinking of just buying some bleach at Sam's club and drive the FC up.

Whacha all think?
    Last edited by Mario P; 05-12-2015 at 11:54 AM. Reason: reformat the table
    Viking fiberglass Island Breeze II (16'x40'x8'); Pentair pump/filter/heater/chlorinator; IntelliTouch with iX+3; Autelis.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New FG pool balancing

I would. Summer will be halfway over before you have adequate CYA if you wait for the pucks to do it all.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Bleach to raise FC is a great idea. I have a hard time reading what your CYA is the way you posted it.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

If you don't want algae to grow in your pool then you must keep the chlorine level above the minimum level for your CYA level based on this Chlorine CYA Chart. Even one day with FC below the minimum will give algae a foothold and it will start growing and you will have to SLAM your pool. Not adding CYA to your pool will require you to add chlorine more often during the day when the sun is on the pool because the sun will consume the chlorine faster without CYA in the pool.

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Does CYA = 120? Thats what im reading in the OPs list even though its staggered. If thats the case, you don't want ANY more CYA.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by umpalumpajay View Post
    Does CYA = 120? Thats what im reading in the OPs list even though its staggered. If thats the case, you don't want ANY more CYA.
    That is how I read it too, so I a was confused on wanting to raise CYA.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

DATE/TIME FC CC pH TA CH CYA Salt Borate Temp
    5/11/15 2:17 PM 1.0 0.5 7.5 120 75 5 82

This is how I interpret it
    FC 1.0
    CC 0.5
    PH 7.5
    TA 120
    CH 75
    CYA 0
    Salt 0
    Borate 5
    Temp 82
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry guys for confusion.
    When I was posting it, the columns lined up, now they're not.

Here are the results in column format -- I will also update original post:

FC 1.0
    CC 0.5
    PH 7.5
    TA 120
    CH 75
    CYA 5 - estimate as I could still see the bubble and the tube was completely full.
    Salt 0
    Borate 0
    Temp 82
    Viking fiberglass Island Breeze II (16'x40'x8'); Pentair pump/filter/heater/chlorinator; IntelliTouch with iX+3; Autelis.

9. Back To Top    #9

oooooooh, hahaha! there was no "0" in the salt column and i have a tendency to read right to left (its a weird habit). Get some CYA and chlorine in that pool stat! LOL!
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

10. Back To Top    #10

I've added 121Oz of 8.25% bleach from Sam's club this morning.
    If my calcs are correct, that should bring me up in line.

What's the best option/source for CYA?

I should say that I have a full bucket of the chlorine tablets that I don't plan on using much.
    I figured I will run the automated chlorinator if we ever leave town, but that's about it.
    If dumping 5-6 of those tables as a source of chlorine is a viable way and as a byproduct they will raise CYA to my target level (40), then I'm all for that.

I will also point out that we do have automatic pool cover that's on all the time -- well, with exception of the 1 or so hour a day that the wife and kids swim.
    I say that because I hear that chlorine is burned of by direct sunlight and the amount of time the pool is covered almost totally eliminates that problem.

11. Back To Top    #11

New FG pool balancing

You can buy CYA at Walmart or lowes. Usually about $14 for a 3lb container. Just put part of what you need in an old sock in the skimmer or in front of a return to dissolve. You can squeeze it every once in a while to make it dissolve faster.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
    You can buy CYA at Walmart or lowes. Usually about $14 for a 3lb container. Just put part of what you need in an old sock in the skimmer or in front of a return to dissolve. You can squeeze it every once in a while to make it dissolve faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is this what I need:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/HTH-Stabil...ioner/17043638
    ?

13. Back To Top    #13

That would be it.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.