Major foaming issues

May 24, 2013
Warrington, PA
I admit it, I royally messed up! Cheaped out last season at closing time by purchasing some no-name brand algaecide (Pool Mate?) and metal control. Since opening, on May 1st, the pool has been a foaming mess (like the head of a beer). I've debated if I angered anyone to the point of them dumping gallons of dish detergent in the pool. I've been reading other posts on TFP with suggestions saying up to a week for the foam to go away. It's been a few days longer than that, and though the foam has subsided slightly, there is no sign of it disappearing. When the pump is off, there is no foam and the water is crystal clear. Been testing the chemistry (Leslie's testing and my own) and it's been fairly well balanced. I initially needed to increase CH, but that level has been ok for a week. Is there anything that can be done to counteract the foam? I attempted a test with a defoam chemical, only in the attached spa (where the foam is worst... more jets i guess?) and it had little to no impact. Tried Pool First Aid, no dice. I know i will never run into this issue again because now i know better, but any advice to resolve my dilemma would be appreciated. Thanks, Shaun

Welcome to the forum Shaun,

Before we can help, we really need a full set of numbers from you, to see what all is going on.

As well, I strongly urge you to stop putting these things in the pool without knowing the outcome of the additions.

Thanks pooldv! I test with a Taylor K-2006 kit which (from my understanding) is very similar. I've been using TFP.com for the past 4 years but always found my answers searching the forums. It's been my go-to pool resource. This foam issue has me puzzled and stumped, so I needed to swallow my pride and request assistance.

This foam issue has me puzzled and stumped, so I needed to swallow my pride and request assistance.
Chlorine will fix that issue.

Elevated chlorine will reduce the foam to zero over a couple of days. The problem is we don't know exactly how much chlorine is safe cause you can't tell us how much CYA and FC you currently have.

Break out that K-2006 and give us some good test results.

Thanks pooldv! I test with a Taylor K-2006 kit which (from my understanding) is very similar. I've been using TFP.com for the past 4 years but always found my answers searching the forums. It's been my go-to pool resource. This foam issue has me puzzled and stumped, so I needed to swallow my pride and request assistance.

Sounds good, yes that test kit is fine.

Had the wife send me the numbers from a test just the other day. Free chlorine was low intentionally. The guy at leslies advised to keep it low while using the pool first aid then gradually bring it back up. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

FAC: 1
TAC: 1
CH: 290
CYA: 80
TA: 90
PH: 7.4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.