Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help hooking up solar to an EasyTouch

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Need help hooking up solar to an EasyTouch

Hey guys I have an EasyTouch/IC40 coming that I want to hook up to solar panels. The problem I'm having is that I got 2 different actuator part numbers from Pentair.

I think I need the solar valve part # 263047
    The solar sensor part # 520272

What actuator do I need is it the 90 or 180 degree One?
    Part # 263043 or part #263045?

From my research it looks like I also need two check valves one after the filter but before the solar valve and one after the solar panels but before the bypass T

Is this the correct setup?

Thanks in advance, Brannon
    15x30 AG 12k, Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 hp, 21' sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400 propane heater. Intex swcg, Wanda the whale, upgrading to an Suntouch with Solar Bear Panels...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help hooking up solar to an EasyTouch

My setup uses a 90* actuator. Depends how you plumb it. Yes, you need a check valve after the filter before the valve. And another check valve after the panels and before the bypass so that when solar is bypassed water isn't pumped to the panels in reverse.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Hopefully this diagram makes sense.
    I'm pretty sure I need the 90 one image.jpg
    15x30 AG 12k, Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 hp, 21' sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400 propane heater. Intex swcg, Wanda the whale, upgrading to an Suntouch with Solar Bear Panels...

4. Back To Top    #4

Most actuators can be adjusted to stop at any angle ... I know the cheaper Intermatic ones can. And you can use any actuator you want, does not have to be Pentair.

Also, it is usually best that the common pipe (from filter in this case) is the middle port on the 3-way as you get better control.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I can easily handle putting the common pipe in the middle.

I thought the Pentair actuator would be more plug and play if that makes any sense...
    Do you have an actuator that you suggest other then the Pentair?

Thanks, Brannon

6. Back To Top    #6

They are all plug and play. They use the same style plug. Just plug it in. The manual shows you how to adjust the internal cams to get the desired rotations.

I am using the Intermatic version. They are all virtually identical.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Lmao, I'm still a little confused on which one to get.

Is there a difference between the 90 and the 180 version?

Sorry I'm such a pain in the....
    Thanks, Brannon

8. Back To Top    #8

The Intermatic only sells 1 as far as I know ... and you can adjust it to turn 10 degrees or 93 degrees or 147 degrees or 351 degrees or spin in circles if you want.

I had never heard of a 90 vs 180 actuator before you brought it up. Maybe that just means that Pentair has set the cams for you to try to make them dummy proof
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

It can get confusing to visualize. All valve actuators are the same. All can be adjusted to move 90* or 180*.

Here is a pic of my solar valve, etc.

Solar valve.jpg

Lower left from filter
    Upper left to solar panels
    Upper right from solar panels
    Lower right to SWG and back to pool
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Awesome, thanks a ton! I just posted my plumbing diagram and this was super helpful!

You guys rock,
    Brannon