Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time cleaning Pentair Cartridge filter - pressure relief

1. Back To Top    #1

First time cleaning Pentair Cartridge filter - pressure relief

Just opened and cleaned out the filter for the first time by myself!

When restarting I forgot to use the pressure relief valve to blow out the air and get the steady stream of water coming out of the filter relief valve per the manual. The pipes rattled for 15 secs and then settled, filter sound okay but a little noisier than before cleaning and Psi reads at about 20 psi. I'm guessing the sudden rattle was air flowing through while the filter refilled. Is this normal? Should I open the relief valve while the filter is running ASAP? Or I'm okay?

The flow rate feels really strong in the pool..pushed my hand strongly from the out take/return.

Thanks folks,

John

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time cleaning Pentair Cartridge filter - pressure relief

Welcome to TFP!!!

Likely it was just the air making its way through the pipes. You should be fine, although you should still open the valve and make sure the air is all out. I pop mine open just about every week just to make sure there is no air building up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I open mine while it is running to blow out air every time I clean the leaf basket.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

same here.. I open mine occasionally too.

is 20 psi what your filter runs at? Or did you mention it because its higher than what you normally see?
    If its higher than normal, then it might just be stuck. It happens often. Just thump it with your finger and if it drops, it just got stuck.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow. Fast replies!

Okay, went and opened and gases out the filter this morning. Just a squirt of air and then water flow, so it looks like it's okay as y'all suspected! Filter sounds normal and the psi is running at 15 which looks to be about right...prior to the clean it was running at 30 psi.

Good deal all!

Hey one last thing do you folks keep a spare o-ring for the filter around for the just in case or does the o-ring last a good time before requiring changing? I put silicone grease/plumbers grease I got from ace hardware on it FYI.
    - 25,000 gallons in ground fiberglass pool
    - Pentair Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter
    - Pentair VS Inteliflo Pump, Pentair SolarTouch with Solar Panels - 8 hrs run time.
    - Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit
    - Polaris 380 with Hayward Booster Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I do not have a spare o-ring. In fact I think they might be discontinued for my filter.

FYI, you should clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. With stating at 15psi, you should clean by 19psi.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Does a 20-25% increase translate into monthly cleanings?
    - 25,000 gallons in ground fiberglass pool
    - Pentair Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter
    - Pentair VS Inteliflo Pump, Pentair SolarTouch with Solar Panels - 8 hrs run time.
    - Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit
    - Polaris 380 with Hayward Booster Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Depends on how big your filter is and how dirty your pool is. If sized to our recommendations, you may only need to clean yearly.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by John55 View Post
    Does a 20-25% increase translate into monthly cleanings?
    Not likely. Most filters need to be cleaned a few times per year. Or at my house with lots of trees 2-3 times in spring and 2-3 times in fall.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach