Kim t

May 11, 2015
Gray, Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi, I am new here and could use some help. We decided we would like to use the BBB Method, so we have been checking levels and can not seem to get the FC level to stay up. Here are what our latest results are.
FC- 0
CC-0
CYA-50
TA-50
PH-7.6
Also took a water sample into the pool store thinking that I couldn't be doing something right, and they told us that our Phosphates levels are at 2500 and needed some phosfree to get that right, which I bought, but now feel like I was pool stored, any help on what to do to get the FC/CC up would be appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Skip adding the PhosFree, return it if you can. Phosphates are not your problem.

How does the pool look? What is the CH?

Read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
  • The water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

The water is clear, but when adding the liquid chlorine 11% to get to 3 ppm, by the next morning the most I can achieve when adding the correct dosage is 1.8, but the next morning readings are showing zero again. Too late on the phosfree, they got my money there as it is already in the pool, lesson learned. We never did the slamming of the pool. My husband thinks the algae is winning the battle.

My husband thinks the algae is winning the battle.
If you are anything like my wife you will prove him wrong.

For CYA of fifty your shock level of chlorine is 20, that is your goal. Starting in your pool that would be 3 gallons of 11% liquid chlorine. The basis of the SLAM is to take it to shock level and keep it there until it has oxidized all the contaminants in the water. You prove that they are all gone by passing the three tests.

Read through the instructions but the key points are:

Pump runs 24/7
Brush the pool at least once daily
Test and adjust the chlorine back up to shock level at least twice a day, but the more often you do it the better, but not more than once every 30 minutes.

Welcome to TFP. You will succeed and prove your husband wrong as I did as long as you follow the advice and SLAM process exactly. As Tim said it will require Time, Patience and lots of bleach but it is all worth the payoff in the end.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.