Getting rid of pool store.....help

Regardless of CYA, you should add chlorine at least once a day, preferably in the evenings. As long as you add at least 2 ppm of chlorine each evening you won't lose any progress that you have made so far.

Getting rid of ammonia takes huge amounts of chlorine, time, and patience.

No! Keep adding bleach!!!!

There should be a code somewhere on the container which will indicate the date it was bottled. For instance, 15120 would be the 120th day of 2015. It can let you know how fresh the bleach is. It won't tell you anything else like: did it sit on a dock in full sun for too long, etc.

Ammonia is tricky....why not test again in am to confirm your zero to be safe. If you add CYA and the bacteria that converts it is still there, it might just turn into ammonia again, which might be what happened after the dichlor and why you have no cya reading right now when you started with 54.

I fought ammonia once in a foreclosure swamp. I didn't add cya at all until the FC was holding, and then things cleared up pretty fast (eg a week, but the FC held.)

Yup!! LOL Thank you very much!!! Sorry to complain so much---I'm just sooooo frustrated that we've had to do this the last 2 years & it's seriously getting to the point of just not opening the pool!!! I just want this to work, so I'm sucking it up!!! lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
no worries! It will work and you will be talking about how much you love your pool and TFP in no time! Have you read some of the green swamp threads by people with user names like nomorepools, ihatemypool and justfillitin? They are changing their names to ilovemypool and dontfillitin. LOL!

If you're not going to be there to add bleach, you can use the Pool Math to raise your FC up as high as mustard shock level. That will give you a cushion without risking damage to your liner and equipment.

The recommendation on TFP is to wait until you are below shock level. However, I know people who swim above regular shock level knowing their swimsuits and towels can suffer bleach damage, and some people with sensitive eyes/skin may be uncomfortable. I am not making any recommendations by saying this; just saying.

For the future, don't swim if your FC is below your minimum for CYA, as it may not be sanitary. See:
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

You can swim in the pool with FC levels up to shock level. If it's above that stay out. So, if you are at or near mustard shock level, NO.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.