Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair 3/4 HP SuperFlo 2 Speed Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair 3/4 HP SuperFlo 2 Speed Pump

Hey all,

I currently have a Hayward 3/4 HP SuperPump. It was seized upon opening the pool this year, and now starting to hum, whine, and get incredibly hot while operating. It's to the point I no longer feel safe running it. I had the company that opens my pool service the pump to the tune of $100 to get it 'unseized', and they mentioned they replaced a seal as well - exactly what, I don't know. I'm wondering if my bearings are shot based on the sounds it is making and this was overlooked or ignored, or just bad luck having a second problem.

Long story short, I'm looking to get a new pump. The equipment pad is also about 10 feet from our bedroom window, so a 2 speed pump would be nice, but not critical. I've thought about this for a couple years and this seems to be as good of an excuse as any to switch.

The Pentair Superflo 3/4 HP pumps look the most appealing, both the single and 2 speed varieties, mostly because my electrical is setup as 115 volts. The pump is powered via an Intermatic timer.

I'm wondering about how the 2 speed pump switches from hi to low speed. Is it a switch directly on the pump itself? Will it be as simple as running the old electrical into the new pump, so that the Intermatic timer controls power... and then I can toggle hi and low RPM on the pump? I would almost certainly run it on low all the time.

On a separate note, I'm hoping that replacing the 3/4 Super Pump with the 3/4 Pentair is reasonable to assume that they will perform similarly in terms of flow rates, etc. The Pentair looks a bit easier to plumb in with unions which is pushing me towards it.

I really appreciate any help, especially if anyone who owns the 2 speed 3/4 pump can chime in about how it's wired or the RPMs are changed.

Thanks
    matt
    ~15500 gal (60000 L) IG Vinyl, built 2011. Spill-over Spa. SWG - Zodiac DuoClear. Hayward Super Pump 3/4 HP. Pentair Sta Rite Max-E-Pro Booster for Spa. Hayward Sand Filter. Raypak Heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair 3/4 HP SuperFlo 2 Speed Pump

17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for replying.
    ~15500 gal (60000 L) IG Vinyl, built 2011. Spill-over Spa. SWG - Zodiac DuoClear. Hayward Super Pump 3/4 HP. Pentair Sta Rite Max-E-Pro Booster for Spa. Hayward Sand Filter. Raypak Heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

How is your pump doing running your spa? Is it a Super Pump or a Super II?

The 3/4 Superflo (like the Super Pump) is on the small size to support the typical flow requirements for a spa. I would think the 3/4 Whisperflo 2-speed (also 115V) might better support the spa jets
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    How is your pump doing running your spa? Is it a Super Pump or a Super II?

The 3/4 Superflo (like the Super Pump) is on the small size to support the typical flow requirements for a spa. I would think the 3/4 Whisperflo 2-speed (also 115V) might better support the spa jets

We have a separate 1 1/2 HP booster pump for spa jets. The 3/4 HP pump (SuperPump) circulates the water through the filter only.

All a bit of a moot point since the place I was going to order the 2 speed pump from actually had it mislabelled. It was a single speed 3/4 HP pump. So today I found a local pump specialty repair shop and am going to try and get it rebuilt/repaired first. I will look at the Whisperflo 2 speeds (I thought they were single speed) in case the repair attempt fails.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ah ... that explains it. Stick with the Superflo then ... no need for the larger Whisperflo for circulation only.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!