Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green Pool = Mad Wife

1. Back To Top    #1

Green Pool = Mad Wife

I have a 24000 gal in ground vinyl lined SWG pool

I am suspect of the SWG but I don't know where to start. Couple questions:

1) I ordered a new Digi-Key resistor, can I just pull the old one off? Im fairly confident in my soldering skills.
    2) Can I add chlorine tabs to get the water clear for the time being while I troubleshoot the SWG?
    3) What do the numbers mean in sequence when I push the button?

IMG_0527.jpg

I don't have a test kit but I am going to get my numbers from the pool store tomorrow.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Green Pool = Mad Wife

Welcome to TFP. You will find that the best way we can help you is if you purchase a recommended test kit. We don't trust pool store testing. We also don't recommend chlorine tabs as they may add CYA to your water. We recommend bleach for chlorination if you don't or cannot use your SWG.

Unfortunately I know nothing about your SWG so I cannot help you there.

What does your water look like right now?
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Green, very green

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

You are going to definitely have to SLAM. There is a link in my signature for the TF 100 test kit, I recommend adding the speed stir and upgrade to the XL option.

I am assuming you cannot see the bottom. You can still try to use a leaf rake to drag stuff out of the bottom. I will let someone else chime in on how much bleach you should add since we don't have a full set of numbers.

You can read about the SLAM process in pool school. You are welcome to read my SLAM process as well it is in my signature.

- - - Updated - - -

Please if you go to the pool store tomorrow do not buy anything other than Stablizer if they say your CYA is low and a leaf rake and pole if you don't have one. Just tell them you will have to talk to your wife.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP! Order a TF100 from tftestkits.net, XL version.

You will definitely need to SLAM Your Pool when the test kit arrives.

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read while you wait for your test kit
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here a is the Water Balance for a SWCG pool.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Matty,
    if your POWER light is lightig up, the the problem is not the Current Limiter. When the current limiter goes, you dont get any Power Light at all, or it will only come one for a few seconds, then go off after it warms up.
    If you do swap it out someday though, its easy. Just unsolder the old one from the board and put a new one on. Anyone even remotely familiar with a soldering iron can do it. I just replaced one for a friend last week.

Your Cell is most likely in need of replacement. Although, a bad PCB could also be the culprit, but it's rare and not likely that's the case.

Others have provided the best info to you available about clearing your green water. A good test kit is require because of the FAS-DPD type of test is only avialable in the recommended kits. You have GOT to have that test.

And do some reading in Pool School while waiting on a kit. No one expects you to learn it all at once, so feel free to ask questions.

Here are the definitions of the diagnostic codes for the Aquarite
    1. Pool temperature (xx degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius)
    2. Cell voltage (typically 22.0 to 25.0 volts when chlorine is being generated, otherwise
    30-35V)
    3. Cell current (typically 4.50 to 7.80 amps when chlorine is being generated, otherwise
    0 amps)
    4. Desired Output % ("0P" -- "100P" depending on knob position or input from remote
    pool automation controller)
    5. Instant salinity ( -xxxx ppm or -x.xx grams/Liter)
    6. Product name sent to the pool automation control display ("AL-0" which signifies
    "Aqua Rite")
    7. Software revision level (r1.xx)
    On the 8th push of the button the display will revert back to the default salt display.
    Also, if the button is not pushed for 30 seconds, the display will revert back to the
    standard salt display
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

If it were my pool, I'd dump a gallon of chlorine in while waiting for your test kit, and also get an algicide and add that too.

Then use your test kit to get your pool up to specs.
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006

8. Back To Top    #8

Skip the algaecide ! It won't help.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

No? Why?

I've never lost control of mine so I only use it occasionally.
    My Ideal Specs:
    TAYLOR K - 2006

10. Back To Top    #10

Green Pool = Mad Wife

Most algaecide's contain copper as it is an algae inhibitor. No reason to put copper in your water. The only one I know of is polyquat 60 algaecide which doesn't contain copper.
    The only way to kill algae is high levels of chlorine. Algaecide's won't kill algae.
    All you need to do to prevent algae is to keep your FC in the sweet spot for your CYA level by not letting the FC fall below the min for the CYA level and you'll never have an algae outbreak.
    I've never used algaecide's and I've never had an algae outbreak.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

+1 to ^^^^^^^
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckiechan View Post
    No? Why?

I've never lost control of mine so I only use it occasionally.
    What's up with the FC 1-3 in your signature?

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

Agree 100%
    What you need to rid the pool of algae is chlorine, and you need to maintain that chlorine a SLAM level until it is gone, gone, gone...

then after that, if you maintain FC to TFP recommendations. If you do that the FC will be sufficient to fight off any more algae spores that tries to get in the pool.

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    Skip the algaecide ! It won't help.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

14. Back To Top    #14

The stuff I used was a tan color - no copper - and worked fine. It was while I was opening last summer I started getting some while I was getting to spec. I don't get the hue and cry, here...

And the question "What's up with the FC 1-3 in your signature?" that's what's in the manual for the salt generator. Since I have water solar it's a battle to keep it below 5+, since it runs a lot. I'm at 35% run time on my SWG.
    My Ideal Specs:
    TAYLOR K - 2006

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckiechan View Post
    The stuff I used was a tan color - no copper - and worked fine. It was while I was opening last summer I started getting some while I was getting to spec. I don't get the hue and cry, here...

And the question "What's up with the FC 1-3 in your signature?" that's what's in the manual for the salt generator. Since I have water solar it's a battle to keep it below 5+, since it runs a lot. I'm at 35% run time on my SWG.
    I asked because 3-4 should be your minimum with the 50-75 cya in your signature, not the maximum.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

16. Back To Top    #16

I'm sorry but I think the correct equation is:

X = Mad Wife

Where: X = Anything

Solve for Y.