Pool timer wiring wrong? Only controls booster pump

Hi, could someone take a look at my pool timer set up. As you can see in the pics the main, SWG, booster pump and filter all run into the timer box. However, when I flip the on/off switch the only thing that turns on/off is the booster pump. What am I missing, I would think if everything is wired into the timer, the timer should turn everything on/off. Thanks in advance for your input and advice.

It sounds like you have your booster pump attached to terminals 2 & 4, which is correct. But in your 2nd picture it looks like your other loads and supply line are all tied to terminals 1 & 3 by wire nuts and jumpers. The only thing that should be on 1 & 3 is your supply. All loads that are to be timer controlled should be on 2 & 4.

Thanks Steve. I don't use the booster pump since it is for a polaris robot I don't use (got a dolphin). So, since I don't use the booster I can disconnect it from the timer totally. Pigtail wire the SWG and Filter pump to 2&4 and supply to 1&3. Would the white wires stay in place? Thanks

In the picture it looks like only the booster pump is on the timer. I don't see anything else attached to 2&4. The wires come in on the bottom left, go to the wire nuts, and then a pigtail goes out of the wire nuts to 1&3. The white wires are to the timer clock, so they stay. How do you turn on your main pump? It looks like it was set up to run the main pump and swg 24/7 with the booster pump set up on the timer.

You could take the wire nuts out, run the power in to 1&3, and put the swg and main pump on 2&4. Just wire nut off the leads going to the booster pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have just moved into this house...

The way it is wired, there may have been a variable speed pump in there. The kind that has its own timer on board. When the old owner moved, he swiped the variable speed, and replaced with a single speed. Maybe the one that came out of there when he bought the variable.

He just put it back, and moved out.

This would explain the wiring being the way it is. Just a guess.

Either way, i would disconnect the 2 and 4, wire nut those and connect the filter and the E1 to 2&4 (One wire from the filter pump and one wire from the E1 to terminal 2 and the remaining two to terminal 4).

How do you turn on your main pump? It looks like it was set up to run the main pump and swg 24/7 with the booster pump set up on the timer.
I have to shut it off at the panel, it runs 24/7. I have SWG shut off because running 24/7 at lowest level is producing too much chlorine.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have just moved into this house...

The way it is wired, there may have been a variable speed pump in there. The kind that has its own timer on board. When the old owner moved, he swiped the variable speed, and replaced with a single speed. Maybe the one that came out of there when he bought the variable.

He just put it back, and moved out.

This would explain the wiring being the way it is. Just a guess.

Either way, i would disconnect the 2 and 4, wire nut those and connect the filter and the E1 to 2&4 (One wire from the filter pump and one wire from the E1 to terminal 2 and the remaining two to terminal 4).

Thanks. Brand new pool I had installed within last 7 months.

Whoever installed it didn't do any favors with that setup. A timer on a booster pump isn't a bad idea, but all pool builders and pool stores seem to think you need the main pump running 24/7. I've only been running my pump about two hours a day since I opened it this season, and it looks beautiful. They don't care about the $150 a month it can add to your electric bill to run 24/7. I would hook the main pump and the swg up to that timer and roll on. Why did you get rid of a pressure side cleaner that was only 7 months old?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why did you get rid of a pressure side cleaner that was only 7 months old?
Thank you. I'll work on it when I get home. The PB included a Polaris TR35P. I ran it for a month when the pool was installed in late Sept 2014, until it was closed in October. I could never get it working properly, adjusting the nozzles, speed, etc and it just wouldn't clean well at all and having to go to the timer box to turn it on and off...I'm sure it was just my issue(s), but I thought it was a PITA. I love my dolphin. I'll get around to selling the slightly used Polaris.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
+1 what the others have said. Wire your SWG and pump to terminals 2 & 4 and allow the timer to be your friend. Unless you are in SLAM mode or must constantly skim, there is no reason to run your filter 24/7. I run my pump and SWG for a total of 4 hours a day. My FC is stable at 6ppm with the SWG set for 40%. If you rarely need the booster, install a separate control panel for it and control it manually.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.