Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My first slam, need advice.

1. Back To Top    #1

My first slam, need advice.

Well, after a year on TFP and a previous summer with my starter pool, I thought I was ready and wouldn't need to slam for a while. Three straight days of storms and mountain of leaves later, my pool has taken on a green tint.

I apologize in advance for the length of this post.

For everyone on a mobile device, such as myself (storms knocked out cable and internet) I have an 18x34 agp with a 7ft deep end. I also have a TFP test kit.

It looked worse last night, but another round of storms was moving in, so I just dumped the skimmer, added my bleach, and ran for the house.
    This is from this morning:

Pardon the mud, we're in between the build phase and the deck phase, and it keeps raining!
    Anyway, I tested last night and of course chlorine was at 0. My CYA was 55 the last time I checked, but that was before our unseasonable monsoon hit. I put 121 oz of 8.25% bleach in, which was all I had.

This morning I tested again, back to 0, added 121 oz more bleach and headed to work. At lunch I made my first trip to Leslie's ever to buy a leaf rake.
    It was sunny all day, and I got home to this:

Tested again, chlorine at 0, PH is 7.5, CYA is 40. Swept the pool, and then I pulled out as many leaves as I could.
    Added 242 oz of bleach, and I will test again in a couple of hours.

After all of that, my first question is: the water doesn't look as bad as what I've seen on here, do I need to shoot for the full slam level?
    18 X 34 AGP 7ft deep end, 22,300 gallons. 250lb sand filter, 2 speed 1.5 hp pump. TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

My first slam, need advice.

Yes you need to be at shock level and keep it there as best you can by testing as often as you can. Your shock level FC is 16. The longer your FC stays at shock level the quicker it will clear. I understand life gets in the way so just do the best you can.
    Get as much debris out of the pool as you can.

Here is the SLAM Process. Give it a good read as it needs to followed to the T.
    Any questions you have don't hesitate to ask.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: My first slam, need advice.

Vacuum to waste, refill it (if it needs any more water), check pH and CYA, and start the SLAM. If you hit it first thing in the morning, as soon as you get home, and again at bedtime, you could well be done before the weekend. Hint: turning the filter to recirculate while you're gone or asleep will keep it from clogging. The stuff will still need to be vacuumed or filtered out, but at least you'll be around to monitor the pressure.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! Went to the store to stock up on bleach.
    I backwashed earlier and the water level is just barely under the top lip of the skimmer, it could definitely stand to lose another inch or two.

I also checked the forcast, and it's calling for more severe weather tomorrow.
    Hopefully I can get some work done in the morning before it gets here.
    18 X 34 AGP 7ft deep end, 22,300 gallons. 250lb sand filter, 2 speed 1.5 hp pump. TF-100 Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Slamming is going well, I think, it's definitely not taking as much bleach to keep my FC at or above 16, and now it's taken on a cloudy appearance:

Which means I'm vacuuming blind, but that's ok.

Here's my next, hopefully not dumb, question:
    I know the pump is supposed to be running 24/7, but if you have a 2 speed pump, should it be on high or low?

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

The only dumb question is the one that is not asked

I think you can leave it on low and be fine.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the quick reply, and the reassurance.

I know I need to check the pressure, which doesn't register if I'm running the pump on low, don't know if that's normal or not. I do switch it to high for about 30 minutes after each time I add bleach. It typically reads 10 psi, so I do backwash whenever it hits 12 or 13.

Another question, this one about vacuuming. Is there some sort of adapter I can use with my manual vacuum to get it to seal better in the skimmer? I'm constantly having to go back and get the hose in position, or have my grumbly teenager hold it in place.

8. Back To Top    #8

low is definitely fine. Preferred even. No need to run on high after adding bleach, unless you want to.

Yes it is normal to have low or no pressure on low. Check pressure on high speed after you clean and then turn it to high to check periodically, clean when it rises 20-25% from clean pressure. Yes, 12-13ish.

Don't know about the vacuum. Grumbly teenagers are questionable at best. Want some more???
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Funny you would ask, we're in the process of becoming foster parents to one of my students which would in fact add another teenager to the house!
    I also have to run the pump on high for a little bit each day so that we can keep up with the blasted leaves! As soon as the mud clears up, at least 2 of those trees are coming down.

10. Back To Top    #10

I hear you, I suffer greatly from the leaf affliction. But, also enjoy the shade. To chainsaw or not to chainsaw ...

I guess I'll keep mine, you are making enough contribution to the world.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Well, I spent about an hour cleaning out my skimmer basket and "raking" leaves out of the bottom/skimming them off the top.
    There are days that the basket will be nearly empty with nothing floating on top, and days when I have to clean out a packed skimmer twice a day, and it's nowhere near Fall, grr!

I'm thinking that the two trees right beside the pool are either going to become firewood for the pit I'm planning to build, or they're going to get a serious haircut. That will still leave two good sized shade trees in the corner.

SLAM still going well, here is a picture from yesterday:

And one from this morning:

Makes it easier to see the leaves collecting on the bottom and scoop them up!

I tested last night before going to bed and fc was 17, added 1 gal bleach per pool math to get it to 20 for overnight, tested this morning and fc was 21? I'll take it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Tested 5 times yesterday and added bleach when needed, numbers never fell below 16.

7:30 this morning tested, fc=14, quickly added bleach and left for work.
    Went home at lunch, fc=17, swept quickly what I could, and headed back to work. Water is definitely clearing up, and we can't wait to jump in.
    Definitely need to vacuum, but I won't get home until dark. Maybe grumbly teenager number 1 will take the initiative, hmm.
    Here is a pic from lunch:

13. Back To Top    #13

Tell grumbly teenager that vacuuming the pool is a good way to tone the arms and work on the summer tan.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

14. Back To Top    #14

Looks good, making serious progress! My mantra was "One and Done", so the hard work will pay off and then it's just maintenance...

Jeff
    Katy (Houston, TX) - 15,000 gallon In Ground free form kidney shaped 30'x15' pool with Pebble surface. Spa - 8' round with waterfall. Hayward Swimclear Cartridge filter (not sure which model though - maybe C3025?). Pleatco replacement cartridges x 4, 1.5HP Hayward Century Pump, Hayward Booster Pump (model 6060). Chlorine tab dispenser, which I won't be using. Polaris cleaner. TF-100.