Need correct info regarding Pump size and filter size for AG pool

May 11, 2015
Knoxville, TN
I have a 18x33 Oval pool around 14,500 gallons.
My 2HP motor went down and I have a 22" sand filter. Question is to replace new motor could I go with a 1 Hp or a 1 1/2 hp.
If I wanted to replace both could I go with a 18" filter and a 1 Hp motor?
Not sure how much water I need to be moving GPM? I was told about 30 but not sure.

Welcome to TFP !
I would keep your present filter and go with a 1 HP 2 Speed pump. The Hayward Power Flo Matrix is a very good pump. Lots of folks on the forum use it along with myself. You would save a lot in your electric bill by running the pump on low speed 90% of the time.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

For a pool your size, I would not go smaller than the 22" sand filter. I agree a 1HP 2-speed would be a good pump for you.

The flow rate really does not matter. Check out: Determine Pump Run Time

And please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Yes it will be fine.
Make sure your FC is range for your CYA level to prevent algae. Brushing the area that has seen algae if it gets poor circulation will help greatly also. You can also run the pump on high speed for an hour to help out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.