May 11, 2015
Birmingham, AL
Hello! I am new to TFP and was introduced by another member. We moved into a home that previously had a pool and spent the first year refurbishing it. The first season was no problem. This year we have finally gotten the pool somewhat clear. As in I can see the shallow and deep in through the haze but I cannot get the haze out. Our the person that introduced us to TFP tested out chemicals and says everything is good. Our filter runs less than 24 hours before it completely stops all forward flow. I backwash it and it takes about 5 min to clear. Next day, same thing. I regret not getting a cover last year. I've spent 3 weeks trying to clean the pool not to mention all of the sides are stained and now I'm fighting this cloud! Any ideas? I previously found an article about getting the stains out but wanted to get the pool clean first.

45000g fiberglass insert. Hayward filter 700lb sand Jandy VS pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave: Glad a friend turned you on to our little corner of the web.

If you don't already have one, you will need to pick up one of the recommended test kits. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All the kits on the list contain that test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

Once you get a test kit you will need to read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

A sand filter can take longer to clear up the cloudiness. But, we need to be sure you are correctly following the SLAM process to make sure it is not a chemical problem.

FYI, we recommend backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% above the clean pressure, if you wait too long, the flow stops and you lose your filtering ability. Also, if you are unsure of the filter's history, it would be a good idea to Deep Clean your Sand Filter

Welcome! :wave:

If the filter clogs that fast and the water is still green after a few days of treatment, you have a major algae bloom going that needs killing. We call the process The SLAM. To do it, you need your own test kit. Step one: go to http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html and order a TF100 with the XL option. They ship fast, and you'll have it before the weekend easily, without even paying for the overnight express delivery.

Then follow the SLAM instructions. If you get on it quick, you can have it sparkling by Memorial Day.

Some Inspirational Posts.