Question on pea gravel / Sand amounts

May 10, 2015
omaha
First off what a wonderful community here. Glad I found this place. Cant wait to help out and learn some more stuff.

I have a triton II with 250 lbs of sand. I am replacing my sand currently in it. I am going to fill the bottom with gravel but am wondering since I am adding the gravel in do i then subtract that weight away from the sand I am putting in. I am pretty sure I would but want some confirmation.

So say i put 50 lbs of gravel in to cover the laterals. would I only put 200 lbs of sand in then.

thanks everyone :)

Why are you replacing the sand? There is rarely ever a need to do so.

If you do, then whatever volume of gravel you add would reduce the volume of sand ... may not really go by weight. Although it is not critical. It should just be up toward the top of the widest part of the filter, say ~2/3-3/4 full I would think.

Thanks for the fast response.

I am changing the sand because I believe it to be about 10 years old. I think it is not catching as much as it should. and feel I could have a bit clearer water. Last year was my first year owning the pool and am learning this system. I also have some concerns about how much flow i am getting through it. In doing some online research and talking with a couple people who take care of hotel pools changing the sand was recommended

When i started digging into it, i found lots of debris. old plant stuff, and bits of plastic things in the middle of it. as well as clumps of what i would call large balls of algae looking grapes. these were about 1/2 down the sand as i was taking the stuff out.

You have figured your answer. Yes, if you put in 50 lbs of gravel, then you only add 200 lbs of sand.

Like jblizzle said, sand really never needs changing but done is done. It sounds like your sand has not been backwashed nearly enough and never deep cleaned. It'll be convenient to start out fresh.

If you go online, I think you can find the published "freeboard" for that filter. It's the distance from the top of your new sand top the top of the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.