Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question on pea gravel / Sand amounts

1. Back To Top    #1

Question on pea gravel / Sand amounts

First off what a wonderful community here. Glad I found this place. Cant wait to help out and learn some more stuff.

I have a triton II with 250 lbs of sand. I am replacing my sand currently in it. I am going to fill the bottom with gravel but am wondering since I am adding the gravel in do i then subtract that weight away from the sand I am putting in. I am pretty sure I would but want some confirmation.

So say i put 50 lbs of gravel in to cover the laterals. would I only put 200 lbs of sand in then.

thanks everyone
    25,000 G. Inground. Sandfilter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question on pea gravel / Sand amounts

Why are you replacing the sand? There is rarely ever a need to do so.

If you do, then whatever volume of gravel you add would reduce the volume of sand ... may not really go by weight. Although it is not critical. It should just be up toward the top of the widest part of the filter, say ~2/3-3/4 full I would think.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the fast response.

I am changing the sand because I believe it to be about 10 years old. I think it is not catching as much as it should. and feel I could have a bit clearer water. Last year was my first year owning the pool and am learning this system. I also have some concerns about how much flow i am getting through it. In doing some online research and talking with a couple people who take care of hotel pools changing the sand was recommended

When i started digging into it, i found lots of debris. old plant stuff, and bits of plastic things in the middle of it. as well as clumps of what i would call large balls of algae looking grapes. these were about 1/2 down the sand as i was taking the stuff out.
    25,000 G. Inground. Sandfilter

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like you could have just Deep Cleaned your Sand Filter. No matter, keep that in mind as cleaning it every year or so is a good idea.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

You have figured your answer. Yes, if you put in 50 lbs of gravel, then you only add 200 lbs of sand.

Like jblizzle said, sand really never needs changing but done is done. It sounds like your sand has not been backwashed nearly enough and never deep cleaned. It'll be convenient to start out fresh.

If you go online, I think you can find the published "freeboard" for that filter. It's the distance from the top of your new sand top the top of the filter.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Which model Triton II do you have? The freeboard is different for each one.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit