Opening Pool for Season and now what..??

May 12, 2009
Had to fill pool up at least 2/3 with fresh water this season...
pool has been circulating for 24 hours-- since I had to fill with a lot of fresh water what are my next steps...

1. Can I go ahead and test stabilizer? or wait another 24 hours? ( I am pretty sure there isn't a whole lot in there...last year I kept around 40)
2. I did test Chlorine and it was at 0 and CC was at 0 (do I need to add a little bleach to keep it from going green until I get stabilizer right?)
3.PH is around 7.6 ( I tested just now)

I didn't test anything else as I normally don't have any other issues-

Just need a little advice- I do have stabilizer and bleach on hand...

Thanks in advance :)

1. Can I go ahead and test stabilizer? or wait another 24 hours? ( I am pretty sure there isn't a whole lot in there...last year I kept around 40) If its been running a few hours go ahead and test.
2. I did test Chlorine and it was at 0 and CC was at 0 (do I need to add a little bleach to keep it from going green until I get stabilizer right?) Yes, get some chlorine in there now to keep it clear.
3.PH is around 7.6 ( I tested just now)

Are we dealing with a pool that will need a SLAM?

What is SLAM? shock level and maintain?
The water is clear and we converted from back-goo about 5 years ago

and how much bleach? do you think I should add?
I just put in stabilizer as well in a sock in front of skimmer

Normally when I open I have at least a little bleach in it, but where we had to refill 2/3 I am not sure

What is SLAM?
The water is clear and we converted from back-goo about 5 years ago

and how much bleach? do you think I should add?
I just put in stabilizer as well in a sock in front of skimmer
How did you determine how much stabilizer to put in the sock? I'm hoping you used Pool Math to calculate the amount. You can also use Pool Math to calculate the amount of bleach to add.

A SLAM is a continuous process of adding chlorine to a pool until the pool is completely clear/clean. SLAM Process.

You would need to SLAM if you oped the pool to cloudy and/or green water, high chlorine consumption or any other issue related to organics in the water.

OH yes I use the pool calculator for everything...I added 53 oz by weight of granular stabilizer...to get it to 40- since it was at almost non in there since I just tested-

Based on the calculator and CYA chart I would need to bring shock level to a 10 with Chlorine? since my stabilizer is 20 or less??
That would require 207 ounces of 6% bleach..however, I have bought the wall-mart brand bleach and it says it is concentrated 8.25 Sodium hydrochloride and 91% other??? do I need to adjust bleach % in calculator? if so that makes the amount 151 ounces?

Is it best to go ahead and bring FC up to 10 even though
is just now dissolving? I am figuring bleach will burn off tomorrow in sun but some it better than non at least until the stabilizer gets fully dissolved in the next 48 hours?

Thank you! I get way to stressed each year when we open the pool- you guys are a life saver-

Should I test CYA tomorrow evening or wait another day? just test FC/CC tomorrow and top back up to 10 until I know for sure what the CYA is?

Thank you! I get way to stressed each year when we open the pool- you guys are a life saver-

Should I test CYA tomorrow evening or wait another day? just test FC/CC tomorrow and top back up to 10 until I know for sure what the CYA is?
No need to test the CYA for a week, it can take that long to register on teh test. Just assume it's 40 starting tomorrow and raise your shock value up using the FC/CYA chart.

Thanks ;)

Hoping this East TN warm weather lasts a while..we hit a record today of 89
Wahoo!!!

- - - Updated - - -

oh one more thing...was the bleach right? I feel like the ingredients are different?

Thanks ;)

Hoping this East TN warm weather lasts a while..we hit a record today of 89
Wahoo!!!

- - - Updated - - -

oh one more thing...was the bleach right? I feel like the ingredients are different?
Nope, it should be GreatValu 8.25%. you just don't want the scented, splashless, flavors or any other funny things - just bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.