Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Super Pump 1 1/2hp making noise.

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Super Pump 1 1/2hp making noise.

My hayward super pump 1 1/2 hp model 1610Z1M making a noise. I don't think it the bearing because no noise on start-up but after 2 or 3 minutes makes a noise. I've tried to attach a drop box video with audio.

the rear of the armature seems to be bucking up and down a bit causing it to strike something inside the casing. is there a seal or something i can replace to keep the armature held steady?
    In-ground 18X36 vinyl. Hayward super pump 1 1/2 hp 1610Z1M motor.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Hayward Super Pump 1 1/2hp making noise.

That sounds like the cooling fan rubbing on something. It may have come loose from the shaft. A good motor repair place might be able to fix. You will need to disassemble the motor.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing

3. Back To Top    #3

Wading River, NY

Re: Hayward Super Pump 1 1/2hp making noise.

I have (had) the same model pump, which the previous owner of my home said he had rebuilt two years ago. On Saturday morning it started making some noises, by Saturday afternoon it tripped the breaker. When I turned the breaker back on and tried re-powering the pump, it shot fire out the side vent and tripped the breaker again. My solution was to bite the bullet and replace it with a Sta-Rite 3 HP Variable speed. I was planning on junking the old single speed anyway but was hoping to get another month out of it. Good luck, I hope you can fix it cheaply.
    20x40 32k IG vinyl, Hayward MicroClear DE filter, Sta-Rite IntelliPro 3 HP VS Pump, AutoPilot digital SWG