Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking for my 1st cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking for my 1st cleaner

Just wanted to know the major differences between the pressure cleaners ( I have a connection for that), vs the Robot type cleaners. Also, which one is generally better for an in ground pool 20 x 40.
    25k Gallon Gunite Inground Pool
    Pentair FNS PLUS DE filter
    Pentair WhisperFlo WF-24 (seems like single speed)
    Bel Air, MD 21015

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: Looking for my 1st cleaner

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3
    Savannah GA

I have the Polaris 280 on a timer with a pool sock in the net bag and it works great. I run it 2 hours at night, and I have a lot of trees.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

4. Back To Top    #4
    Benton, KY

I have a 20X40 and a Polaris 280. It came with the pool/house. I was wondering how good it really was until the leaves started falling last year. That thing will flat out clean up a pool. I need to get a skimmer sock or a finer bag for it so it does better at getting the finer particles up, but it does pick up most everything. What it doesn't pick up gets put back up in the water so the filter can catch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    33K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100XL

5. Back To Top    #5

Suwanee, GA

I too have a 280 and it does clean the pool well. All larger stuff ends up in the bag, including small toys and sometimes even goggles. Smaller particles and dirt are continuously blown around until they end up in the filter.

What I wish it would do better, which a robot would do, is sweep the sides of the pool I've noticed over the years that the walls are showing a bit of discoloration due to not being swept as much. I can scrub it off with a stainless bristle brush, but that is a pain.

Still given my choices, I'm fairly lazy and don't want to have to manage a robot. The 280 stays in the pool all the time, runs on the timer and just keeps it clean.
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.