Stopping the Problem

Dan P

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Miami, Fl
Hello everyone, new to the forum. I've been noticing very low to no chlorine levels in my pool for a couple of weeks. Taken water samples to a couple of pool stores, CYA levels at 60 at one store, next day took to another it was at 0. Don't worry, ordered the TFT100 yesterday and will check it myself from now on. After reading through this forum I understand I must SLAM since chlorine is almost none excitant even though there's no visible algae but water gets cloudy after heavy swimming. My pool builder set up my SWG to 50% running the pump at 24 hours, 21 on low and 3 on high to run my sweeper. After SLAM is complete, how do I keep my SWG running high enough not to have this problem again? I would have figured with it running for 12 hours a day I would not have this problem. Also, direct sunlight on pool for about 80% of the day, water temperature is at 89 without the heater. Thanks in advance for the advise.

Well if your CYA is too low, then the SWG will not be able to overcome the FC losses so that might be the problem (along with stuff starting to grow). The test kit should clear up our questions when it arrives.

You should not need to run your pump that long and that size SWG should EASILY be able to keep adequate FC levels with a much shorter run time.

Welcome to TFP! Good call ordering your TF 100! Once you get your test please post a full set of numbers.

FC
CC
PH
TA
CYA
CH

We will help you help your pool.
As for the SWG you won't need it during a SLAM. We can address that later.

I encourage you to explore PoolSchool while in the meantime.

There could be a couple of things that are causing the low FC level so we need accurate test results to determine what is causing it. When you receive the TF-100 run all the tests and report them.

A very low CYA level could be part of the problem and having nascent algae could be another. With the TF-100 you will be able to run an OCLT to determine if you have organics that are consuming the FC as it is being made by the SWG.

After this issue is fixed, the SWG should be able to handle the pool water just fine but you will need to test and balance as needed by following our guidelines.

I would add a gallon of bleach for now to raise the FC since SWG's are not great at raising the FC level but are more ideal to maintain it. Keep adding a gallon of bleach a day until the TF-100 comes in.

There could be a couple of things that are causing the low FC level so we need accurate test results to determine what is causing it. When you receive the TF-100 run all the tests and report them.

A very low CYA level could be part of the problem and having nascent algae could be another. With the TF-100 you will be able to run an OCLT to determine if you have organics that are consuming the FC as it is being made by the SWG.

After this issue is fixed, the SWG should be able to handle the pool water just fine but you will need to test and balance as needed by following our guidelines.

I would add a gallon of bleach for now to raise the FC since SWG's are not great at raising the FC level but are more ideal to maintain it. Keep adding a gallon of bleach a day until the TF-100 comes in.

That is good advice. A gallon a day will add about 6 FC to the pool.

Thanks for the quick responses. Think I figured out why the algae began to grow. I lowered my pump to run at a lower setting, there wasn't enough flow through the SWG to generate chlorine, got a no flow reading.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.