Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting Water to the Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting Water to the Filter

I inherited a pool this last year, and I have only the slightest idea as to what I'm doing so please bear with me.

I went to open it yesterday. Took the cover off. Removed the only plug in the pool and replaced the only plug that was missing from the pump/filter system. Removed the gizmos from the skimmers. Tried to turn the filter on, and I couldn't get water to it. So, I tried priming the pump myself with the hose. I'm still not getting any access to the pool water.

As far as I know, everything works fine or it did in Novemeber. I just feel like there is a step I'm missing.

My initial thought is the valve for the main drain. I wonder if I need to open it? The problem is, it won't turn in either direction, and I'm not sure why. My gut is telling me that's the issue, but I don't know why it won't turn to open.

Then I wondered if there are some kind of plugs in the skimmers. There are two holes at the bottom, and I'm not sure what they are supposed to look like or if there is something I should remove. The water is too murky to take a pictures.

I know that is not much detail, but if anyone has any ideas of what I'm missing, I'd appreciate it. I've spent an entire day watching "how to" videos and reading through the forum with no luck.

The only details I know to share are that it's an in-ground pool...maybe 30,000 gallons...Triton sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting Water to the Filter

Can you add pictures of your equipment and plumbing? Might help us spot something.
    How long did you try to get the pump to prime?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Easy way to check: open the pump lid and pull the basket. Stick the garden hose into the inlet pipe and cram a rag around it to seal it up a little. Then turn on the water. You'll see turbulence in the skimmer well if the bottom is open. If all you get is water gushing all over the pump, you'll need to start groping around the bottom of the skimmers for a winterizing plug, because it's still sealed.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Easy way to check: open the pump lid and pull the basket. Stick the garden hose into the inlet pipe and cram a rag around it to seal it up a little. Then turn on the water. You'll see turbulence in the skimmer well if the bottom is open. If all you get is water gushing all over the pump, you'll need to start groping around the bottom of the skimmers for a winterizing plug, because it's still sealed.
    Well, it wasn't the skimmers. I'll try to post a picture of my pump and filter tomorrow to see if that helps. Thanks for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

I tried to prime it for about a minute or two. Should I try longer maybe? I will post a picture tomorrow.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Can you add pictures of your equipment and plumbing? Might help us spot something.
    How long did you try to get the pump to prime?
    I was unable to get a picture today. Still no luck. Tried priming again. Found out a gauge on the filter wasn't screwed in properly and fixed that. Nada. Tried opening and closing all the valves. Nothing. I'm considering calling the guy who closed it to come out...maybe he'll give a discount since the cover is off? Ha. I'm confident nothing is wrong. I think I'm just missing a step.

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't know if I should start another topic for this, but something occurred to me - when I prime my pump for the first time after the pool has sat unused all winter, should the valves be opened or closed? I've got a main drain valve and two skimmer valves.

7. Back To Top    #7

All the valves should be open.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you. Last night, I tried it with them closed. Today, they won't turn at all. Any ideas on that? I may just have to call someone.

9. Back To Top    #9

If they are PVC ball valves ... that is not surprising and the reason we do not recommend using them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

They're actually not...they're galvanized metal. I think there is too much air built up against them.

11. Back To Top    #11

Well, those metals ones seize up as well. There is no air buildup and that would not prevent you opening them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Well, those metals ones seize up as well. There is no air buildup and that would not prevent you opening them.
    Any idea on how to fix them?

13. Back To Top    #13

Remove and replace. Ideally with true pool valves like Neverlube.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Well, I'm thinking they don't need to be replaced because all three are frozen?

15. Back To Top    #15

So because all 3 don't move, you think that is normal?
    I would guess all 3 have seized up.

You post of picture of them anywhere?
    Jason, TFP Moderator