3 questions about my pool equipment

bper

May 2, 2015
Phx, AZ
I've never known what this standpipe is a couple feet from the skimmer. It's a valve box that always has (somewhat dirty) water and a standpipe that leads to an open return port.

View attachment 36321

I also can't find a way to remove my return jets to clean or adjust. It looks like there may be a special tool with two slots? Same for my fiber optic lights, which have 4 slots. I want to clean them since I have mustard algae.
View attachment 36324

light1.jpg

Does anyone have a solution for keeping the vac hose from getting stuck on an in-water rock feature? I usually just leave the vac in permanently but it does often get stuck when the hose gets between this rock and the wall.

View attachment 36323

Last edited:
1) Look kind of like an auto-fill, but if there is no float valve, I am think it might just be an overflow drain.

2) I think there are tools out there for the eyeballs, not sure about the light. Should be pretty easy to make something to unscrew the ring on the eyeball.

3) So the cleaner makes its way up onto that shelf? If so, I have no idea how to stop it from wrapping around the rock.

I have an auto-fill in another location and it's set up a little different. Just reached in there and there is water under pressure coming up from the bottom through a small hole in that center ring. When it reaches the level of the standpipe, overflows into the return. Don't see why I'd have that auto-fill in addition to one on a float valve? Maybe I will try to find the builder and ask.

The cleaner doesn't climb, so doesn't get the step or platform. Rather the hose gets between the rock and the wall in a U shape and is unable (or takes a few hours) to escape at that point.

Last edited:
Should easily be able to make your own tool. I made one out of appropriately sized diameter pvc pipe and cut the end to leave 4 notches. Made it about 4 inches long, drilled a hole through the other end to put a screwdriver through to use as leverage to turn it. Looks like your light might have water in it.

I won't be able to get float valve in there with the standpipe taking up space. Now I'm wondering if it's just a return? I will confirm if the flow stops when I turn off my pump but right now it's running 24/7 for SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.