Air leak in Supply Hayward Dial a Flo valve and can't figure out how to seal it.

Apr 23, 2009
A puzzler me, I have an air leak on one side of the 3 port Dial A Flo supply side valve. I've isolated it to that location by pouring water on one side and watch the bubbles diminish in the pump skimmer. The 2 return lines come straight up from the ground, go into 90 degree threaded fittings that are threaded into the valve. I tried twisting the valve one direction to see if I could free it from one side but that doesn't go far enough to disengage the threads. I tried doing this and building up the Teflon plumbing tape on each side but it doesn't seem to then make a lot of sense to drive it hard to one side, then loosen it up. I guess when they built the pool they must have put the fittings on the valve, then glued the fittings to the supply pipes. I tried to RTV Silicone (what is in red) but still haven't fully sealed it. Any thoughts on the best way to tackle this?
Trying to attach a picture here.
IMG_4668.jpg

The bad news is, you're gonna be cutting pipes.

I'd suggest cutting the ones coming up from the ground and installing Unions.
820633976325lg.jpg

Do what you gotta do to tighten up and seal the threads on that valve and then put it back town and tighten up those unions.

Hello Again. So I do a decent job on standard PVC plumbing (plumbed in a Salt system and solar) but have never attached to flexible PVC pipe like what is coming from the strainers. Do I use regular pvc pipe fittings or is there specialized fittings for the flex pipe?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.