Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air leak in Supply Hayward Dial a Flo valve and can't figure out how to seal it.

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Air leak in Supply Hayward Dial a Flo valve and can't figure out how to seal it.

A puzzler me, I have an air leak on one side of the 3 port Dial A Flo supply side valve. I've isolated it to that location by pouring water on one side and watch the bubbles diminish in the pump skimmer. The 2 return lines come straight up from the ground, go into 90 degree threaded fittings that are threaded into the valve. I tried twisting the valve one direction to see if I could free it from one side but that doesn't go far enough to disengage the threads. I tried doing this and building up the Teflon plumbing tape on each side but it doesn't seem to then make a lot of sense to drive it hard to one side, then loosen it up. I guess when they built the pool they must have put the fittings on the valve, then glued the fittings to the supply pipes. I tried to RTV Silicone (what is in red) but still haven't fully sealed it. Any thoughts on the best way to tackle this?
    Trying to attach a picture here.
    IMG_4668.jpg
    28K gal, IG, Vinyl Liner pool, built in early 2000, L shape,1.5 HP Hayward SuperPump VS,Hayward DE Filter, Aquarite Salt Chlorinator, Polaris 360, Solar Blanket, Borax added,TF-100 tester
    Inflatable Aligator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air leak in Supply Hayward Dial a Flo valve and can't figure out how to seal it.

The bad news is, you're gonna be cutting pipes.

I'd suggest cutting the ones coming up from the ground and installing Unions.

Do what you gotta do to tighten up and seal the threads on that valve and then put it back town and tighten up those unions.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Air leak in Supply Hayward Dial a Flo valve and can't figure out how to seal it.

thats what I was afraid of. Was hoping for someone to come up with some miracle goo.

Appreciate the reply. Thanks
    28K gal, IG, Vinyl Liner pool, built in early 2000, L shape,1.5 HP Hayward SuperPump VS,Hayward DE Filter, Aquarite Salt Chlorinator, Polaris 360, Solar Blanket, Borax added,TF-100 tester
    Inflatable Aligator.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hello Again. So I do a decent job on standard PVC plumbing (plumbed in a Salt system and solar) but have never attached to flexible PVC pipe like what is coming from the strainers. Do I use regular pvc pipe fittings or is there specialized fittings for the flex pipe?
    Inflatable Aligator.

5. Back To Top    #5

I've never used flex PVC myself, but I've read that it uses normal PVC fittings and glue. The barbs and clamps are for polyethylene and will eventually leak.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Same fittings, blue pvc glue is recommended. You need to hold it a little longer than regular PVC to give it extra time to set.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach