Need help with cloudy water

Ke

Sep 29, 2007
Toronto
About 2 weeks ago I noticed the water is getting a little cloudy(but not much), I added 1/2 bottle (500ml) of Salt Water Magic (by Natural Chemistry) which I never used before, I did not notice any improvement after a few days. Then the PB came to install (as part of the pool contract) a Prozone ozonator, about 24 hours later, the water became very cloudy, the Prozone website says this is normal and the water should become clear after a few days, but I was worry so I unplugged the ozonator and now it's been more than a week, the water is just slightly better, but in the past, I always had sparkling water, the only issue I had was slight metal staining which was resolved with ascorbic acid treatment. I did open the filter and hosed the cartridge which looked quite clean but the waste water was very greyish. My pool is a 8500 gal fiberglass with an automatic cover, most of the time the cover is closed, the pump is always on 24/7. I tested the water:

TH 250
TC 2
FC 3
PH 7.6
TA 100
CYA 40
Salt 3200

Is there anything I can do other than just wait?

Cloudy water could be the start of an algae bloom. However this late in the season and with your cold weather in Toronto now I would think its highly unlikely thats whats going but not impossible.

What do you use as your source of chlorine ?

Welcome! :wave:

Please update your profile to include your pool equipment and specs in your signature. Go to User Control Panel, top left, and then Profile, and then Edit Signature.

What are you using to test your water?

TC is always FC plus CC = TC. So your FC can't be more than your TC. So is it safe for me to assume your FC is 2 and your TC is 3 instead of the reverse you show? If that's the case, that means you have a CC of 1 and should shock your pool, and Tiz is right that could be the problem causing the cloudy water. The other thing I would suggest is try leaving the cover open a bit more, some suggest leaving it covered for long periods can cause CC's to form and sunlight will help destroy them.

See the Recommended Levels article in Pool School - with an SWG the recommendation for CYA is about 70. To schock your pool you should use bleach or liquid chlorine, not the "super chlorinate" function on your SWG which can shorten the life of the cell.

Hope this helps! :-D

I tested the water again and both my TC and FC are 3 ppm. The water is slightly less cloudy today. I don't understand why the ozonator was causing so much cloudiness, or may be it was the Salt Water Magic. Our swim season in Toronto will finish in about 2 weeks, I guess I will wait till then to shock the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.