Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dogs and Pool Filters

1. Back To Top    #1

Dogs and Pool Filters

We have two labs that LOVE to swim in our pool. The filter/pump that came with our Intex pool did a despicable job of keeping the water moving last year, and I want to upgrade. I've been looking at the Sand Filter/pump systems, and I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on whether I should try a sand filter? With the copious amounts of dog hair and dander that I have to fish out of the skimmer, and also sometimes have to spray off of the filter, I'm not sure if a sand filter is the right way to go. I just started my research on sand filters, and found this wonderful site so instead of becoming cross-eyed trying to figure it out myself I'm here begging for help! Thanks in advance!!
    4400 gal,15' x 48" Intex Vinyl w/ Metal Frame - Salt Water System - Standard Filter/pump

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Sierra Vista, Az

Re: Dogs and Pool Filters

I have the same pool as you and upgraded to a Krystal Clear 2800 gph sand filter pump this year. I love it!
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3
    Columbia, SC

For the dog hair part of the question I would just put a skimmer sock over the skimmer basket and the hair will never make it to the filter. I will let others with more knowledge of the Intex filters jump in.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

There are dozens of thread here and many happy people who endorse the Intex sand filter over the Intex cartridge filter.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach