Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Good afternoon TFP,

I SLAM over a week ago and all of my numbers are holding steady here:

pH 7.3 7.4 (I can't exactly tell - its not 7.2 but not yet 7.5)
FC 6.0 today (i have been drifting down since SLAM)
CC 0 CONSISTENTLY every evening and morning
TA 120
CH 250
CYA 50 (now 50 and trending up - I added granular stabilizer on Saturday)

My nature is to WANT the TA in the recommended range because its high but my CSI seems good - pool looks like glass - What would the benefit of lowering it?

"There are two reasons to lower your total alkalinity (TA) right away, because you want to slow down the rate that the PH rises, or if high TA is contributing to a high calcium saturation index (CSI) which puts you at risk of calcium scaling. You shouldn't lower TA just to reach a target number. Make sure you actually have one of the above issues before lowering your TA."

I am just not SURE that I should lower the pH and lower the TA based on the above statement.

THANK YOU for your help

I find that folks tend to want to tinker with the numbers, while it may be better to sit back and relax and get a longer look at how your trends work out. If I'm correct you have only finished your SLAM within the week. Watch it for at least a few weeks to see what the trends are.

Ok - will do - I like that idea anyway because I am so scared to tinker and mess up the beautiful glassy look of the water and the balance!!!

Should I be doing a full test everyday? Or just FC/pH?

My SWG is currently on at 60% for 8 hours a day so I am still adding chlorine. Is that right? Should the SWG be on yet or should I still be manually dosing with liquid ?

Last edited:
+1 on letting everything just settle down and get into a groove and see what happens. If your PH is stable or only needs to be lowered once or twice a week then I wouldn't mess with TA at all. PH and FC daily and the others weekly is fine. For mew, but I'm a bit of a slacker when things are going well. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I would use the SWG. And use the FC testing to dial in the SWG.

Once you get some people in the water splashing and the SWG running, pH will rise. When it hits 7.8, add acid to take it down to 7.2. That will also lower the TA over time. No reason to rush things.

As long as the FC stays above minimum for your CYA and the pH stays in range, your water will stay clear and glassy. It's just that simple. The other parameters can affect scale formation but they won't make the water look dull.

I am probably a classic 'pool stored' owner - it seems too easy now. I am loving TFP - I am truly addicted. I read everyday on the forum to see how everyone is doing ...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.