Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any reason to make adjustments?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any reason to make adjustments?

Good afternoon TFP,

I SLAM over a week ago and all of my numbers are holding steady here:

pH 7.3 7.4 (I can't exactly tell - its not 7.2 but not yet 7.5)
    FC 6.0 today (i have been drifting down since SLAM)
    CC 0 CONSISTENTLY every evening and morning
    TA 120
    CH 250
    CYA 50 (now 50 and trending up - I added granular stabilizer on Saturday)

My nature is to WANT the TA in the recommended range because its high but my CSI seems good - pool looks like glass - What would the benefit of lowering it?

"There are two reasons to lower your total alkalinity (TA) right away, because you want to slow down the rate that the PH rises, or if high TA is contributing to a high calcium saturation index (CSI) which puts you at risk of calcium scaling. You shouldn't lower TA just to reach a target number. Make sure you actually have one of the above issues before lowering your TA."

I am just not SURE that I should lower the pH and lower the TA based on the above statement.

THANK YOU for your help
    Thanks!!
    18ft x 36ft 24500 gal vinyl liner inground
    Salt water pool - swim pure plus
    Hayward cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any reason to make adjustments?

I find that folks tend to want to tinker with the numbers, while it may be better to sit back and relax and get a longer look at how your trends work out. If I'm correct you have only finished your SLAM within the week. Watch it for at least a few weeks to see what the trends are.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok - will do - I like that idea anyway because I am so scared to tinker and mess up the beautiful glassy look of the water and the balance!!!
    Thanks!!
    Hayward cartridge filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Just test every day to make sure things don't run off the rails. Remember, you will be adding chlorine every day and probably adjusting the pH every few days.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Should I be doing a full test everyday? Or just FC/pH?

My SWG is currently on at 60% for 8 hours a day so I am still adding chlorine. Is that right? Should the SWG be on yet or should I still be manually dosing with liquid ?
    Last edited by wpturner05; 05-11-2015 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Forgot
    Thanks!!
    Hayward cartridge filter

6. Back To Top    #6

+1 on letting everything just settle down and get into a groove and see what happens. If your PH is stable or only needs to be lowered once or twice a week then I wouldn't mess with TA at all. PH and FC daily and the others weekly is fine. For mew, but I'm a bit of a slacker when things are going well.

- - - Updated - - -

I would use the SWG. And use the FC testing to dial in the SWG.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Once you get some people in the water splashing and the SWG running, pH will rise. When it hits 7.8, add acid to take it down to 7.2. That will also lower the TA over time. No reason to rush things.

As long as the FC stays above minimum for your CYA and the pH stays in range, your water will stay clear and glassy. It's just that simple. The other parameters can affect scale formation but they won't make the water look dull.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

I am probably a classic 'pool stored' owner - it seems too easy now. I am loving TFP - I am truly addicted. I read everyday on the forum to see how everyone is doing ...
    Thanks!!
    Hayward cartridge filter

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

it seems too easy now. I am loving TFP - I am truly addicted.
    Welcome aboard! Most of us feel exactly the same.

BTW, I agree with all the above......you only need to test pH and FC daily....do the full battery once a week.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School