Old Aluminum Coping Replaced With Paver Coping

May 5, 2015
Central Virginia
Recently purchased a home with an inground pool. Vinyl liner was replaced less than a year ago, but the aluminum coping appears to be the original (pool built approx. in the early 80's). Would like to have a mason install a first course of renovation pavers around the perimeter of pool so we can set pavers from there outward. However, the only renovation pavers I have run across (see pic below) are really made for a 90 degree pool edge so the "lip" of the paver lies flush against the side of pool. As you can see from the pics, the aluminum coping we currently have is a bullnose type that doesn't allow for a clean 90 degree ledge for the renovation coping. Looking for some advice on how to proceed to get a nice paver coping edge set around the pool that will "hide" the bulk of the current aluminum coping. I have seen something called liner track mentioned on these forums. Not exactly sure what that is, but could our current coping be replaced with that without draining pool? Would the liner track give us the proper ledge for good renovation coping? Are there some other stone coping options out there that I may have not seen that might work? Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Renovation Coping.jpg

Coping Pic 1.jpg

Coping Pic 2.jpg

Reactions: LivingstonPool
Hi Masco,
A liner track is the part of the aluminum coping where the bead of the liner slides into. Its just a small groove.

Here is a link for you on the Royal swimming pool site which Isaac mentioned.
The cantilever is what you will need if you'll be installing a stone coping.
http://www.royalswimmingpools.com/Ing_coping.htm

Thanks for the reply, Dave. Just so I am following...I would have to replace my current aluminum coping with the cantilever coping? If so, can that be done while there is water in the pool? Thanks for the help!

I am in the process of installing the CP2 aluminum coping your are looking to replace. I don't see how you would do it with the existing water and liner in place? Your existing liner is 'beaded' into your aluminum coping, so to replace it you'd really have to take the liner out.
You may be able to get away with draining half the water, and taking the liner bead out of the coping track? But it wouldn't be easy holding the liner in place with the water in and then replacing the coping...

I am in the process of installing the CP2 aluminum coping your are looking to replace. I don't see how you would do it with the existing water and liner in place? Your existing liner is 'beaded' into your aluminum coping, so to replace it you'd really have to take the liner out.
You may be able to get away with draining half the water, and taking the liner bead out of the coping track? But it wouldn't be easy holding the liner in place with the water in and then replacing the coping...

Thanks!

OK, so it seems the best course is to drain pool, and replace coping with a style that will accomodate a stone coping paver of some sort. I would imagine this route probably entails a new liner as well.

Unless anyone else might have some suggestion for a stone or faux stone option that would fit over the existing aluminum bullnose style coping that we currently have.

Again, any and all ideas, suggestions and comments are welcome. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.