Gopher tunnel prevention

meganv

Jul 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
I'm beginning to go crazy with these **** gophers.

Will using a compacted limstone dust/crusher run/whatever else it is occasionally called base help prevent feeling tunnels/dips? With the old pool, we just had a tarp under the pool and started to feel collapsed tunnels through the bottom of the pool.

We are using tons of traps, and the gophers don't seem to be going away any time soon. :grrrr:

***Edit***
Just realized my typo in the header. These gophers have me so mad, I am past prevention and onto porevention! Lol Fixed--JohnT

Re: Gopher tunnel porevention

I have no idea but that is exactly what we are doing... we have moles galore... We are digging down 2 feet (usually below there tunnels) and doing crusher run 2 inches compacted, Armor shield, sand, then liner and hope that works... I am going to use 1 inch gravel to backfill sides after install....

I don't know how your trapping success is, but if it's not going well, try Trapline products. They have great traps and methods that work. They even have a YouTube channel.

Casey and Bella,

We were debating if we should dig down a bit, then compact crusher, then do tarp, foam, and pool. We were only going to go down 2" though, as we cannot partially bury ours. Or, we considered doing 2" of crusher above ground, leveled and framed in. We are extending the base out 10' from the pool to be a base for a paver patio. We had been using a seating set in a graveled area, but the gophers tunneled under the gravel so the chair legs keep falling in. Really dangerous, especially for our little ones.

Patrick,
we have tried the Trapline gopher traps, the black hole traps, the victor gopher traps, poison, bated traps, water down the tunnel (got one this way, much to my husbands shear delight). Some minimal success, but not enough. Thinking of having a professional come in and gas them, just to give us a head start.

They have eaten all my flowers, and all the grass in our back yard. All my plants now have to be potted. I can sit and watch the jerks pull the plants down in their holes.

I have gophers and they are aweful. We have bombed them with little success. We put poison in their tunnels and that work occasionally. We have trapped several over the years seems to be the most productive as well as our dogs catching them. Our dirt is compacted where the pool is and we have 2 tarps under the pool. This past year we did get one dip in the liner but it never got worse. They are a never ending battle. My farrier said if you have a cat that you cand take the litter and dump it in the area you find holes and that works. He does remove the poo from the litter first. I have also heard juicy fruit gum in their hole will bind them up and kill them but have not tried it.

I think we need to dig out more of their tunnels. Which in turn rips up more of the yard, but it will be worth it to get a handle on this.

I'm going to be so sad if we do all the work of digging two inches down into our hard level soil by hand, re-leveling, laying stone dust, compacting, etc. just to have gopher tunnels under the pool again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks everyone, been dealing with moles for 3 years now and trapline traps are on the way... :) I killed 1 during the rain and hopefully some drowned, but in a couple weeks they will meet there match...

Why do I feel like I wanna grab a pellet gun n sit on the back porch with a stiff drink on a bucket?! lol

Thanks everyone, been dealing with moles for 3 years now and trapline traps are on the way... :) I killed 1 during the rain and hopefully some drowned, but in a couple weeks they will meet there match...

Did you see his YouTube videos? I use a peice of onion instead and it works IMO. If you need help, send me a pm. I really have gotten pretty good with these traps.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do I feel like I wanna grab a pellet gun n sit on the back porch with a stiff drink on a bucket?! lol

Because that could be good entertainment. Problem is, you might never see one in action, or wait many hours. I've been lucky enough to sneak up on two in the many years.

If they run at night, a green or red light would be easy to pick em off.

My husband got one with a shovel once. His prize kill to this day. Saw a little jerk poking his head out, grabed the hose and blasted water down there. Less then a minute later a soaked gopher came stumbling out. My triumphant husband ran faster than I have ever seen and grabbed the shovel.

I think I will order the trapline traps to add to my collection. I thought I already had them, but I was thinking of the Victor ones. Only problem is trapline wants $6 for shipping. I emailed them to see if they sell in stores anywhere, but no word yet.

Our dinning table looks out over the backyard, and the kids are always keeping an eye out so they can notify me when gophers are about. It is sad how often they spot them.

If the kids see so many, I'd be out there with a pellet gun or sling shot. At this point, a good gopher is a dead gopher!

My husband got one with a shovel once. His prize kill to this day. Saw a little jerk poking his head out, grabed the hose and blasted water down there. Less then a minute later a soaked gopher came stumbling out. My triumphant husband ran faster than I have ever seen and grabbed the shovel.

I think I will order the trapline traps to add to my collection. I thought I already had them, but I was thinking of the Victor ones. Only problem is trapline wants $6 for shipping. I emailed them to see if they sell in stores anywhere, but no word yet.

Our dinning table looks out over the backyard, and the kids are always keeping an eye out so they can notify me when gophers are about. It is sad how often they spot them.

They are worth every cent I promise. It's a small company, and they just charge actual shipping. All of us are so spoiled with "free" shipping nowadays, and I'm no different. In these cases, I don't mind at all though as it helps small business. :goodjob:

I may just do that. I used to send our dog out, but other than one lucky catch she only scares them down into the tunnels. I may just have to pay the $6 in shipping for trapline. I think I only balked, because that is the price of one trap. But you are right, it does help a small business.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.