Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gopher tunnel prevention

1. Back To Top    #1

Gopher tunnel prevention

I'm beginning to go crazy with these **** gophers.

Will using a compacted limstone dust/crusher run/whatever else it is occasionally called base help prevent feeling tunnels/dips? With the old pool, we just had a tarp under the pool and started to feel collapsed tunnels through the bottom of the pool.

We are using tons of traps, and the gophers don't seem to be going away any time soon.

***Edit***
    Just realized my typo in the header. These gophers have me so mad, I am past prevention and onto porevention! Lol Fixed--JohnT
    NEW POOL : 9 x 18, 48" deep - Bestway brand, 1 HP Intex 3200 Pump/Sand Filter Combo, Wanda the Whale, Hayward through wall skimmer (still in box)
    OLD POOL 5,100 Gallons, 9 x 19 used Splash a Round, Intex SWG, 1.5 HP Hayward Power Flow LX pump, Pentair Clean and Clear 150 sq. ft. filter, hard plumbed, Wanda the Whale,

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Gopher tunnel porevention

I have no idea but that is exactly what we are doing... we have moles galore... We are digging down 2 feet (usually below there tunnels) and doing crusher run 2 inches compacted, Armor shield, sand, then liner and hope that works... I am going to use 1 inch gravel to backfill sides after install....
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

We were told that our best bet was to dig down lower until we hit clay, then use lime and gorilla pad. We just did all three and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    27k gallon 33' round, partially buried 22" Sandman sand filter, 1.5hp 2 speed TidalWave pump, Pentair 'Lil Shark with leaf canister, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't know how your trapping success is, but if it's not going well, try Trapline products. They have great traps and methods that work. They even have a YouTube channel.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Casey and Bella,

We were debating if we should dig down a bit, then compact crusher, then do tarp, foam, and pool. We were only going to go down 2" though, as we cannot partially bury ours. Or, we considered doing 2" of crusher above ground, leveled and framed in. We are extending the base out 10' from the pool to be a base for a paver patio. We had been using a seating set in a graveled area, but the gophers tunneled under the gravel so the chair legs keep falling in. Really dangerous, especially for our little ones.

Patrick,
    we have tried the Trapline gopher traps, the black hole traps, the victor gopher traps, poison, bated traps, water down the tunnel (got one this way, much to my husbands shear delight). Some minimal success, but not enough. Thinking of having a professional come in and gas them, just to give us a head start.

They have eaten all my flowers, and all the grass in our back yard. All my plants now have to be potted. I can sit and watch the jerks pull the plants down in their holes.
    NEW POOL : 9 x 18, 48" deep - Bestway brand, 1 HP Intex 3200 Pump/Sand Filter Combo, Wanda the Whale, Hayward through wall skimmer (still in box)
    OLD POOL 5,100 Gallons, 9 x 19 used Splash a Round, Intex SWG, 1.5 HP Hayward Power Flow LX pump, Pentair Clean and Clear 150 sq. ft. filter, hard plumbed, Wanda the Whale,

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I have gophers and they are aweful. We have bombed them with little success. We put poison in their tunnels and that work occasionally. We have trapped several over the years seems to be the most productive as well as our dogs catching them. Our dirt is compacted where the pool is and we have 2 tarps under the pool. This past year we did get one dip in the liner but it never got worse. They are a never ending battle. My farrier said if you have a cat that you cand take the litter and dump it in the area you find holes and that works. He does remove the poo from the litter first. I have also heard juicy fruit gum in their hole will bind them up and kill them but have not tried it.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

I have had raging success with Traplines stuff. Takes a Little doing up front to learn, but I'm certain death for them now.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

8. Back To Top    #8

We haven't tried trapline (or juicy fruit or kitty litter)...no cats here so I will start with the first two. We have about 2 acres cleared and they're tearing it up. Frustrating.
    27k gallon 33' round, partially buried 22" Sandman sand filter, 1.5hp 2 speed TidalWave pump, Pentair 'Lil Shark with leaf canister, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

I think we need to dig out more of their tunnels. Which in turn rips up more of the yard, but it will be worth it to get a handle on this.

I'm going to be so sad if we do all the work of digging two inches down into our hard level soil by hand, re-leveling, laying stone dust, compacting, etc. just to have gopher tunnels under the pool again.

10. Back To Top    #10

They destroyed my yard. Finally I had enough, and now they only have to show me a fresh mound, and whammo!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Thanks everyone, been dealing with moles for 3 years now and trapline traps are on the way... I killed 1 during the rain and hopefully some drowned, but in a couple weeks they will meet there match...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

12. Back To Top    #12

Why do I feel like I wanna grab a pellet gun n sit on the back porch with a stiff drink on a bucket?! lol
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    Thanks everyone, been dealing with moles for 3 years now and trapline traps are on the way... I killed 1 during the rain and hopefully some drowned, but in a couple weeks they will meet there match...
    Did you see his YouTube videos? I use a peice of onion instead and it works IMO. If you need help, send me a pm. I really have gotten pretty good with these traps.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Why do I feel like I wanna grab a pellet gun n sit on the back porch with a stiff drink on a bucket?! lol
    Because that could be good entertainment. Problem is, you might never see one in action, or wait many hours. I've been lucky enough to sneak up on two in the many years.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

14. Back To Top    #14

Re: Gopher tunnel prevention

If they run at night, a green or red light would be easy to pick em off.

15. Back To Top    #15

My husband read an article about trapping them with a lawnchair, shovels, and a hammer. I laughed and laughed at him, with visions of Chevy Chase in my head.

16. Back To Top    #16

My husband got one with a shovel once. His prize kill to this day. Saw a little jerk poking his head out, grabed the hose and blasted water down there. Less then a minute later a soaked gopher came stumbling out. My triumphant husband ran faster than I have ever seen and grabbed the shovel.

I think I will order the trapline traps to add to my collection. I thought I already had them, but I was thinking of the Victor ones. Only problem is trapline wants $6 for shipping. I emailed them to see if they sell in stores anywhere, but no word yet.

Our dinning table looks out over the backyard, and the kids are always keeping an eye out so they can notify me when gophers are about. It is sad how often they spot them.

17. Back To Top    #17

If the kids see so many, I'd be out there with a pellet gun or sling shot. At this point, a good gopher is a dead gopher!

18. Back To Top    #18

I agree with Casey! If I could see them I'd definitely be shooting them! Ours are moles and they're sneakier than yours, unfortunately.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by meganv View Post
    My husband got one with a shovel once. His prize kill to this day. Saw a little jerk poking his head out, grabed the hose and blasted water down there. Less then a minute later a soaked gopher came stumbling out. My triumphant husband ran faster than I have ever seen and grabbed the shovel.

I think I will order the trapline traps to add to my collection. I thought I already had them, but I was thinking of the Victor ones. Only problem is trapline wants $6 for shipping. I emailed them to see if they sell in stores anywhere, but no word yet.

Our dinning table looks out over the backyard, and the kids are always keeping an eye out so they can notify me when gophers are about. It is sad how often they spot them.
    They are worth every cent I promise. It's a small company, and they just charge actual shipping. All of us are so spoiled with "free" shipping nowadays, and I'm no different. In these cases, I don't mind at all though as it helps small business.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

20. Back To Top    #20

I may just do that. I used to send our dog out, but other than one lucky catch she only scares them down into the tunnels. I may just have to pay the $6 in shipping for trapline. I think I only balked, because that is the price of one trap. But you are right, it does help a small business.
    Last edited by meganv; 05-14-2015 at 12:47 PM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast