Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: abandoned pool and mosquitos

1. Back To Top    #1

abandoned pool and mosquitos

So my neighbor more or less abandoned her house for several months and now her pool is a giant mosquito pond.
    Does anyone have any recommendations on what I might put in the pool to eliminate the mosquito's?
    We never had a mosquito issue prior to this event so it is most definitely associated with her pool gone bad.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: abandoned pool and mosquitos

I am not a lawyer, so the legality of what I say is up to you to determine and I take no responsibility.

That said, if it is just being left to become a swamp then there are products that can be thrown in stagnant water to kill mosquito eggs and larvae. It may be worth contacting your city as well, some have mosquito control programs and will check it out for you.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I agree with Donaldson. I would contact the city or health dept. A mosquito breeding ground is not healthy.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Agreed, you shouldn't do anything on their property. Contact the owners and authority in charge.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Contact the city/county authorities.

In the meantime, you could toss a few of these over the fence, into the pool:
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

I had this very situation and did as suggested, called the county extension agent. It took some time, but finally the property owner was forced to act. He wound up filling his abandoned pool with soil, then covering that with concrete. It was the site of a old, abandoned hotel. Skeeter problems all gone.

7. Back To Top    #7

+1 on tossing some Dunks in the pool and then call somebody.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Plus one, and plus one of what JVTrain and Pooldv said.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

Where do you live?

In LA County, an agency called "Vector Control" would be all over that green pool. Somebody - city, county, or state health dept - probably has something on their website if you try the search function on it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

What's our vector, Victor?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Thanks for all the reply's so far guys.
    Victor's vector is Northeast Georgia, it is very rural area.
    I have five acres of land and the neighbor in question resides on 2.5 acres.
    You would think that there would not be an issue given the amount of land however there is.

I think I will end up giving her a call as the property is getting out of hand.
    The lawn is a foot high and the pool is a swamp. It is a shame because the property was always well maintained up until last fall.
    I she chooses to do nothing I will go ahead with the dunks and try to be patient as if I call the county she will know it was me and I do not need the headaches.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Call the homeowner first and if that does not work you will have one choice but to call the county. Sounds like she abandoned the property. Ask her if she can at least drain the pool if it is one that can safely be drained.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

14. Back To Top    #14

We have one near where I live in Roseville, CA. The most the county will do is have vector control put in some mosquito fish.

The guy who's house abuts to it, throws in chlorine pucks from time to time. The mosquito tabs might be a good idea too, if you can get the concentration up. Plus there is junk in the pool adding to the danger. Either way, given the thicket of regulations that control every iota of life in California, no one really gives a **** about diseased swimming pools.

It's a rotten situation.
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006

15. Back To Top    #15

Unfortunately it is a vinyl liner in ground pool so I believe draining it will not be an option.
    She put a for sale by owner sign up last week however unless she mows the lawn and cleans the pool up no one in their right mind will ever look at it.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Nope she cannot drain with the vinyl liner. I would call her and suggest in order to sell the home she really needs to clean the pool and yard up.
    Lisa