Intex - thru the wall Skimmer installation questions

Tracym

May 11, 2015
IL
I am planning to install a through the wall skimmer on my 18' Intex Ultra pool. Some of the threads/photos are no longer active - so I have a few questions:

1. Does there need to be any support outside? The weight of the skimmer does not stretch/tear the liner?

2. My skimmer came with a double gasket. I have seen internet instructions saying to cut the gasket, and install one piece on the inside of the pool, and one on the outside. Should I do that? Or get an extra gasket? Any extra sealing?

3. Is it ok to have the bracket up on the gray part of the liner, so as to have the water level as high as possible? I would not cut the double part, just have a few screw holes there.

4. I've seen instructions to drain the pool below the level of the skimmer before installation. One other person said to install it full of water, so that the liner was fully stretched. Which is better?

Thanks - that's a great thread, don't know why I couldn't find it before. Sounds like leaving the gasket in one piece is the way to go, in which case, I will have to drain the pool down some. Which is fine.

What I was thinking of doing though, re. the gray part - that is just doubled material. Can't find the link now, but I saved a photo - someone did it like shown in the photo - why would this be a problem?Skimmer1.jpg

Your welcome. It took me awhile to find that thread too.

I don't know if will cause any problem or not to be honest. It looks like they are just below the double layer. I think if you get into the double layer where it splits you could have issues with separation and not getting a tight seal.

Reading that other excellent thread, it appears you do not need to cut the gasket. Just install it first without the gasket - cut the liner - then take it off and reinstall with the gasket as designed (not cut).

My first post peeps. Can't believe I've missed out on this forum over the past 5 years of having my pool. So many cool tricks! UGH. So yeah... Just picked up a new 20' x 52" intex above ground Saturday and plan on putting it up today (waited for the old 18' to drain). I have notoriously hated the intex skimmer and having to remove it each time the kids got in (fear of breaking). I was looking on amazon and was going to order the wide mouth skimmer. Is it heavier? What are the issues with going wide mouth? Pros/cons? I see it being great to keep the water level up, but could be too much stress on the liner from the hole and stretching or something else silly. Any ideas? Anyone installed the wide mouth?

Any links you can share on that research?

I'm what you might call a "water level obsessor". I like to run my water level as high as possible. I actually had a few times last year where the water overflowed due to heavy rains (2-3") of rain. If they had a 6' deep above ground pool, I'd be all over it. Unfortunately, the tallest (within my budget) I've seen is 52".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can not pin point which thread I read that in, but if your presence is a wide mouth I am sure it will be fine for your size pool.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/84850-Hayward-thru-the-wall-wide-mouth-skimmer-installed-on-Intex-Ultra-Frame-Rectangle-poo

- - - Updated - - -

If I recall correctly the worry with the wide mouth on a round pool was that it may be to large to get a good seal because of the curvature of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.