Dolphin Diagnostic Bird's Nest Tangling

May 1, 2013
I know it's a common topic and I have searched the heck out of existing information, but wanted to see if there was any new advice out there. I have a Dolphin Diagnostic that is turning the cord into a bird's nest after every use. My water is cloudy, as I just opened the pool, so I can't see what it is doing in there. Here is what I know and what I would like to know.

1. I make sure the cord is kink-free before I put it in
2. I alternate the handle position between each use
3. I put only the needed amount of cable into the pool
4. What is the likelihood of a drive bearing being out on one end making the the unit travel only one direction?
5. Is there an after-market swivel that can be installed on the cable?
6. Any other tips or tricks to prevent this tangling?
7. I am a DIY type guy and feel service on these would be pricey. Any experiences with sending in for service, getting problems diagnosed, or ordering your own repair parts?

Thanks for the help.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

I find that stretching my cord out before a run helps with coiling and tangling by relaxing it. I don't know about the bearing issue. Is it just turning only in one direction?

I've never heard of a better swivel, and don't think there is an aftermarket one. This is something they don't have down just yet. It's really my only complaint with mine. Never serviced one, but they are supposed to be user serviceable. Marino pool and spa is a good resource for parts and support. You might try them.

What works for me is to stretch the power cable out in a straight line down a driveway, or across the yard. Get at the plug end of the cable and untwist it the best you can and then just leave it in the sun for the afternoon. A Diagnostic is driven only on one side, the other side is just along for the ride, so I doubt it is a bearing issue. I have two of these at rent houses and the both have the same basic cord twisting issue. The unit I have at my house is only a year old and has the swivel cable which, so far, appears to have eliminated the twisting problem.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.