Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dolphin Diagnostic Bird's Nest Tangling

1. Back To Top    #1

Dolphin Diagnostic Bird's Nest Tangling

I know it's a common topic and I have searched the heck out of existing information, but wanted to see if there was any new advice out there. I have a Dolphin Diagnostic that is turning the cord into a bird's nest after every use. My water is cloudy, as I just opened the pool, so I can't see what it is doing in there. Here is what I know and what I would like to know.

1. I make sure the cord is kink-free before I put it in
    2. I alternate the handle position between each use
    3. I put only the needed amount of cable into the pool
    4. What is the likelihood of a drive bearing being out on one end making the the unit travel only one direction?
    5. Is there an after-market swivel that can be installed on the cable?
    6. Any other tips or tricks to prevent this tangling?
    7. I am a DIY type guy and feel service on these would be pricey. Any experiences with sending in for service, getting problems diagnosed, or ordering your own repair parts?

Thanks for the help.
    29K Gallon, Concrete bottom/Fiberglass sides, SWG, Sand Filter, 1HP Pump, Gas Heater
    Kansas City, KS

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dolphin Diagnostic Bird's Nest Tangling

Welcome to TFP

I find that stretching my cord out before a run helps with coiling and tangling by relaxing it. I don't know about the bearing issue. Is it just turning only in one direction?

I've never heard of a better swivel, and don't think there is an aftermarket one. This is something they don't have down just yet. It's really my only complaint with mine. Never serviced one, but they are supposed to be user serviceable. Marino pool and spa is a good resource for parts and support. You might try them.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3

I have had the same tangling issue since day one. I found a place that called Maytronics and they said the part in the link below could be retrofitted to an older cleaners cable. I work in the electronics industry and just ordered the part. It was only $45 delivered so I thought it was worth a try.
    20*40 Liner 2'-8' deep, Spill Over SPA, Electric Cover, Jandy Purelink (Aquapure & PDA), Hayward SP2610x15 (1.5HP Single Speed), Hayward H300 (Millavolt)

4. Back To Top    #4

Of all the problems I've had with my elderly Diagnostic, this has not been one of them. I generally toss in a substantial length of cord and it always comes back untangled.
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide
    Bedford, TX

What works for me is to stretch the power cable out in a straight line down a driveway, or across the yard. Get at the plug end of the cable and untwist it the best you can and then just leave it in the sun for the afternoon. A Diagnostic is driven only on one side, the other side is just along for the ride, so I doubt it is a bearing issue. I have two of these at rent houses and the both have the same basic cord twisting issue. The unit I have at my house is only a year old and has the swivel cable which, so far, appears to have eliminated the twisting problem.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP5200 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.