Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: question about powder chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

question about powder chlorine

This should probably be listed under dumb questions, but here goes. I am in the process of slamming after opening the swamp for spring. last summer we switched to SWG when new liner was installed. Until the TF-100 arrives I'm guessing how much of my chlorine reading is good chlorine. I have now learned I should be using liquid chlorine instead of leftover granule chlorine from before SWG. My question is --- if I dissolve the granules completely in a bucket before adding to the pool is that basically the same as adding "Clorox" liquid. (Apart from the different chemical makeup of course.) I would like to finish off the bucket I have, plus figure out what to do with the small bucket of 3" tabs. If it would be better to use liquid bleach I do have another use for old stuff instead of pool. Dissolving it first is timing consuming, but hey I'm retired-- so what else do I have to do 63 and still learning !!
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: question about powder chlorine

No, it's not the same as liquid. Solid forms of chlorine all have something that the chlorine is bound to to keep it stable in the solid form. Generally this is CYA or calcium.

Stick with true liquid forms unless you need the additional products coming along for the ride.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

What type of powder is it? Dichlor or Cal Hypo? Either way, no, it's not the same as bleach when dissolved in water. The hypochlorite part is the same, but powders have other chemical components that may make it undesirable. Dichlor will add CYA to your pool, which may be too high already. You won't know until you get a proper test kit. You do not have your pool surface listed but cal hypo may be undesirable as it will add CH (calcium hardness) to your pool as well. Not critical for vinyl surfaces, but more important for plaster.

Stick to bleach until you get a test kit.

As far as the tablets, hang onto them and use when gone from home/vacation. Just know that they add CYA as well, just a bit less than dichlor, if they are trichlor tablets.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Wow, thanks for the quick response tim5055, I will switch to bleach, the water is no longer green ,just cloudy, so I will keep slamming. I will feel better about putting in liquid as the boss is worried about me hurting the new liner
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

Good to see you posting here lefty, as I just sent a message to your inbox. You've gotten good advice and great to see you took the step to get a test kit. You're on the right trail...
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks JVTrain, I have tried to edit my signature to add vinyl liner, but it keeps showing old stats, small bucket of Dichlor, big bucket of Cal Hypo. I'm glad you mention the CYA reading as I am at the high end according to test strip. I will feel lost till test kit arrives
    TF-100 with speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

That's ok, you can stop guessing once you have the kit. Our focus here is knowledge. Start building on what you know with the information in Pool School. The ABCs is a good place to start. Don't hesitate to ask questions if you have them. There will be someone here to answer them for as long as you are willing to learn.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

8. Back To Top    #8

ok, a quick follow up on the chlorine. just tested cya with test strip. don't know how accurate, but it looks like CYA has climbed to somewhere between 100-150 ? Is that from using the Dichlor instead of bleach ? Using SWG chart I should be between 70 -80. I hate to replace half the water to lower. Is there a good lowering agent or should I change water slowly and just add more bleach to compensate for high CYA and wait it out for now
    TF-100 with speedstir

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, that's what added Cya. The only sure way to lower is through replacement. Test strips are unreliable, so I hate telling you what to do based on that.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

10. Back To Top    #10

I agree with Patrick, advice based on test strips is not wise. You should have the kit soon, but I'm afraid you will be changing some water to lower that CYA.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

I too suspect you have sent you CYA sky high with the dichlor, we will know soon enough, don't feel alone in making this mistake though, as I have seen at least 3 other SLAM threads here in the last week where people did the exact same thing.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the quick replies fellas, I think I'll just add the bleach and work on the cloudiness for now. I can see the bottom drains (barely) now, so I'm getting somewhere. I can add water from the faucet or when I pump the water from underneath the pool (it's raining regularly right now). That water is clean and clear but has a chemistry of PH-8.2, TA-150 so I guess I'll have to lower those as I replace water. I built a waterfall/aerator using the ones on here as a guide so that will help when I add acid. Now I wish I had told them to ship kit overnight !!
    TF-100 with speedstir

13. Back To Top    #13

Keep in mind... If your FC is above 10 it messes with the pH test. It will read falsely high from the high FC.
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks Beens, PH says 7.8-- TA 110. I think I leave that alone and work on chlorine. Should I keep aerating so PH doesn't drop ? Also when adding bleach should I leave my SWG on its normal setting or turn it off-- or go to super chlor mode ?
    TF-100 with speedstir

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by lefty51 View Post
    Thanks Beens, PH says 7.8-- TA 110. I think I leave that alone and work on chlorine. Should I keep aerating so PH doesn't drop ?
    I feel you should read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end. As Beens points out, one of the first things you do before raising the chlorine up to shock level is to bring the pH down to about 7.2

To pass the SLAM:
    CC is 0.5 or lower;
    You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    The water is clear

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

Try not to get too much ahead of yourself before your test kit arrives.

16. Back To Top    #16

your right I am getting ahead of myself. I've been reading up on procedures--- I think I should just kick back and wait till I can determine the score. I'll just keep reading up and do as you say, when I get the kit start from go and follow through. It's too cool to go swimming yet anyway
    TF-100 with speedstir

17. Back To Top    #17

your right I am getting ahead of myself. I've been reading up on procedures--- I think I should just kick back and wait till I can determine the score. I'll just keep reading up and do as you say, when I get the kit start from go and follow through. It's too cool to go swimming yet anyway
    Well, read through the SLAM procedure a few times.

Then, read these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Then, watch the videos of the tests.

18. Back To Top    #18

This is a good plan! With the reading started you'll be ready to go when the kit arrives and you'll receive very specific help once you can post your first set of test results!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer