Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool water odor

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool water odor

I have had my pool open for a couple weeks now, water is clear and balanced.

What I am finding though is that I have a perfume type smell from my water. Because I live in canada I use RV Antifreeze in my water lines when closing my pool for the winter.

I suspect that this is the smell I am getting from the water as some of the antifreeze makes it into the pool water when I open it. I do my best to blow the lines out so the antifreeze doesn't go into the pool.

Any way I could possibly get rid of this odor from my water or will it just come out over time?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool water odor

Time and Free Chlorine levels (properly maintained) will cure it I'm sure.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I get the same thing. I try to remove as much of the antifreeze as possible but can never get it all. If you have a cover leave it open as much as possible until the smell dissipates. That is what I have to do.

At the beginning of the swimming year, right after I open, I will raise the FC level up above "normal" and that seems to take care of it.

Not sure how you sanitize your pool but I have to use LC until my water gets warm enough for the SWG to work right. So I just dump in a little extra.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

4. Back To Top    #4

I didn't notice any smell to mine, and I blew 4+ gallons back in my pool when I turned the pump on. I wasn't in it immediately afterward though.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100