Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool water odor

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool water odor

I have had my pool open for a couple weeks now, water is clear and balanced.

What I am finding though is that I have a perfume type smell from my water. Because I live in canada I use RV Antifreeze in my water lines when closing my pool for the winter.

I suspect that this is the smell I am getting from the water as some of the antifreeze makes it into the pool water when I open it. I do my best to blow the lines out so the antifreeze doesn't go into the pool.

Any way I could possibly get rid of this odor from my water or will it just come out over time?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool water odor

Time and Free Chlorine levels (properly maintained) will cure it I'm sure.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3

Peoria, IL

I get the same thing. I try to remove as much of the antifreeze as possible but can never get it all. If you have a cover leave it open as much as possible until the smell dissipates. That is what I have to do.

At the beginning of the swimming year, right after I open, I will raise the FC level up above "normal" and that seems to take care of it.

Not sure how you sanitize your pool but I have to use LC until my water gets warm enough for the SWG to work right. So I just dump in a little extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

4. Back To Top    #4
    Benton, KY

I didn't notice any smell to mine, and I blew 4+ gallons back in my pool when I turned the pump on. I wasn't in it immediately afterward though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    33K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100XL